Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jmax3

Fedora Core 3

laugh Hi folks , Ive been reading this board for awhile now,just became member tonight. The reason it took me so long to join is I didnt know how far Linux would go to compete with "Windoze".

I just installed Fedora Core 3 and I think its great !!!

Ive tried Mandrake 9.2,Knoppix,Gentoo,Suse,Fedora Core 2.

If your new you have to try Knoppix (its a no risk trial)

Anyway , Fedora Core 3 found ALL of my hardware, including usb card readers.

I am still new at Linux but Fedora Core 3 gave me a 'kick in the butt' to "boot" Windoze.

Hi Jmax3 and welcome! smile

I just downloaded the four FC3 ISOs today myself. I'll burn them and install sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the report!

Hey i downloaded the FC3 dvd iso but cant seem to find a LIVE cd for FC3 anywhere for me to try first. Anyone?

Originally posted by pr-man:

Quote:
Hey i downloaded the FC3 dvd iso but cant seem to find a LIVE cd for FC3 anywhere for me to try first. Anyone?

There is no live CD for Fedora Core 3

i got all the isos last night as well and am burning them at this moment one question i have though to anybody whos used it with windows are their dual boot issues like in core 2

I just buned them myself. I'll let you know. I think what SoulNOTHING was referring to is an install next to Win XP, not on a second hard drive. There were issues with installs on the same hard drive right next to XP in Core 2 and some other distros using the 2.6 series kernel. Hopefully this has been resolved.

OK ..I intalled FD3 and everything is great ...but ....I can't play audio CDs...anyone else have this problem...?

I get Device error.

I'm getting into it right now. Did an install from the hard drive.

Did you add a normal user per the wizard that pops up on first reboot?

Is the error a /dev/dsp error? You may need to add your current user to the audio group. I'll take a look see.

Tried Fedora Core 3 the other night had a problem on the install with it hanging on the hardware check. Installed with noprobe and made the install, didn't have the cdrom working either.Fstab looked right,tried the find hardware in the systems section and after about one hour the hardware check was done and everything worked like it should, including the cd. Started to hang after a day or so of using it, I think it had something to do with the 2.6.9 Kernel I compiled, got rid of that and everything went back to normal, very nice distro.

If it works right, make it better!