Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
workbench

WD ext. drive

Seems to work fine with Fedora Core 3 test 3, yes latest release (and tested with Knoppix LiveCD aswell) on one computer but on my notebook it doesn't.

Epox 8K9A7I is the motherboard on the working computer.

The notebook is a Acer Aspire 1355LC >

http://support.acerpanam.com/synapse/for...ds=&pupv=pu

Seems like the drive doesnt mount at all on with the USB interface on my notebook. The usb mouse works however.

The harddrive is this one >

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=49

During the attempts I tried to install all the related SCSI, IDE, USB related drivers to make it work. Is there an issue with the harddrive? Is there any drivers out there I don't know about?

Anyways, would like to get all the help I could need.

is the notebook usb 1.0 or 2.0? if it's v.1 it may not have enough power for the drive, just a thought.

when you plug it in to the notebook what does dmesg report? I recommend installing usbview if you can. it's a great gui to see your usb devices.

dmesg should look like this.

Quote:

usb-storage: scsi cmd done, result=0x40000

usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.

USB Mass Storage device found at 2

usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage

USB Mass Storage support registered.

Yep, this is a lighted drive and I must say a nice one! I bet power is an issue.

Is this a dual usb connection on the external drive (requires 2 usb connections to the pc or lappy), or just one? Also is the ac adapter plugged in when you use the drive?

USB2.0, yes.. I also have WinXP on it, that the harddrive works fine with. When using XP i don't have to have more than one USB cablo connected (yes, I'm using the ac adapter, otherwise it wont work at all..)

Gonna try out that out though, with dmesg..

It's only 1 USB connection by the way, so it shouldn't be an issue with insufficient power.

ADD: It cannot find my ext. harddrive either with usbview and there 's nothing in dmesg that shows anything about it.

p.s Yes it's nice, ehh! I choosed only by the reason it glows in the dark which is really nice! Later I also found that I did really well on benchmarks, so it's really good aswell. d.s

[Edited by workbench on 2004-11-08 03:57:04]

Never mind all previus stuff. Bought myselft a Firewire cable that fits into my notebook, and now shit works better. Running all this on Ubuntu now.