Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

XP joining 2003 server Domain

Hey all,

I actually have two questions regarding an XP pro machine joining a 2003 domain.

Frist things first, I have been using my XP box within a simple home network involving several xp and 98 machines. All is working great. What happend is I decieded to set up one of my spare machines as a domain server and have every other computer log into it. I am doing this becuase of the curiosity, and I always wanted to learn more about servers...etc..So right now i have the server setup as a domain, file and print server, now on to the questions

1. Everything is working great as all the comptuers xp & 98 can login and access there own home directories, shared fils, and printer, and my login scripts are all working. My question is, as i was using my xp box originaly by its self now that i loginto the domain i loose all my settings such as icons on desktop, background, startup configurations.. etc... This is kind of a pain as i can log onto my xp box on the local machine and all my settings are just the way i like them and then i log into the domain and its all gone. I kinda knew this was going to happen but i just dont know a work around. There should be a way to sync the accounts so when i log into the domain or local box the settings come up exactly the same. Anyone out there know how i can do this?...thanx

now on to question 2

2. For all my users logining into the domain the servef has to have them with complex passwords. I want to be able to have any password i want. I tried to set all the group policies for password secutiry to disable for complex passwords. as well as the length to less characters..etc... the settings seem to save but when i go to try to change the passowrds it says they dont meet the minimum requirements for complexity ..etc.... i must be missing a step somewere..

Thanx to anyone who can help me out on either of my problems

Masterfinn

Answer #1

Let's assume your login name is "1234". When you log into XP/2000 a folder is created under c:\documents and settings named after your login ID. For example, c:\documents and settings\1234. If you join this machine to a domain, and you create a domain account named "1234", and log into that domain with "1234", then a folder will be created called c:\documents and settings\1234.DOMAIN.

One way to get all your settings back is to log in as a local administrator on the machine and move everything from c:\documents and settings\1234 to c:\documents and settings\1234.DOMAIN. If you would like to only have the "1234" folder, then copy all the contents to a temporary folder, then delete all "1234" folders. Log into the domain with "1234", then logoff, login again as a local administrator, and copy all the temporary files into the "1234" directory.

Clear as mud?

Answer #2

It's always a good idea to force strong passwords on your domain. I would recommend leaving this setting in place. However, if you'd like to disable it, you can do so in Group Policy under "default domain policy". I don't remember exactly what node it's under, but it's in there.

Hope this helps.

Ya i seen that when i logged into the domain and not the local machine it made a folder %username%.DOMAIN as im useing the same username for my local and domain login. So you say i should just copy the folder under docs and settings from my local to domain. Thats what i was thinking had to be done but i just thought there might be a different way.. oh well ill just do that and see what happens.

And yes i know i should have strong complex passwords, but im just haveing this network in my home and i dont need all these tough passwords.. and i have searched through and turned every password policy i could find to disable complex passwords and nothign has worked. but im not giving up yet.. i got my self into this messing around with server stuff and thats how you learn, so ill just keep at it, and i know ill be a server guru in no time.. HA!!

Masterfinn

Copying all the contents from your Documents and Settings\USER folder to another user folder should keep all settings. The NTUSER.DAT file containes all your HKEY_CURRENT_USER settings, and various other files (Desktop.ini?) keep other settings like wallpapers, menu bars etc. So if you have a user "1234" with all the settings you like, copying those files to user "5678"'s folder should work.

As for the strong passwords... start\run\mmc, "ok".

Add the Group Policy Object editor snap-in. When it asks you what for, select "browse", then select "Default Domain Policy". Close out of everything until you're back to the snap-in. Expand the top node, then expand "Computer Configuration", then expand "Account Policies", then highlight "Password Policy". You'll notice in the right window "Password must meet complexity requirements". If you disable that, then you should be able to use whatever passwords you want.

To make it take effect immediately, you should run "gpupdate" on the xp client machines. Otherwise just wait a couple minutes and it should propagate.