Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

FC2 - Blank Screen After Install

Linux Newbie here;

I just got done installing Fedora Core 2 using linux text installation. Everything installed great, no issues, until that is I restart to login for the first time. I have a blank screen. I know my old vid card is the culprit...it's an old Riva TNT2 (AGP). I am only using this system for basic networking and office work. What vid card would you all recommend? (Unless there is a fix for this issue)

Many thanks,

- Lotus

Not familiar with your card, but almost anything from Nvidia, as long as it's not too cutting edge, will do.

Are you getting anything at all? If you aren't then that limits our remedies. Are you at least getting a prompt for username and password? If so, from the command line, you can run:

system-config-display [enter]

And look for your video card within the selections provided.

I have the same video card in my secondary system, which has no trouble at all with Linux. You noted that you did a text install. Is this because the video card failed on a graphical install?

How much memory is in this system?

The other issue could be monitor settings. What monitor do you have?

Give us some system specs. so we can help troubleshoot the issue, if Dan's solutions do not help.

I guess the scotch was working better last night than I had anticipated! Riva IS an Nvidia! Yep, I think you're right danleff, it doesn't sound like a video card problem at all. Again, if you have a prompt, do:

system-config-display, [enter]

and try to find your monitor in the list provided. If you can't find the exact make and model, try to go with something as close as you can.

Last night I configured an "EMC 772¨ whatever the heck that is...

It was not in the RH 9 list so I had to configure it, "by hand." You may have to do the same if your monitor is not listed which actually is not as difficult as it sounds.

What make and model is your monitor?

Hey guys,

I just experienced a similar problem. I upgraded from fc1 to fc2 via yum. The install went pretty well, but after rebooting I'm left with a blank screen shortly after startup (just after "enabling swap space").

How can I get to a command prompt to fix this? Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2 doesn't work.

Thanks

phalaris