Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
asoare13

Pascal for Linux

Hello, I have recently installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 and I was Wondering if there is a Pascal For Linux, as there is Turbo Pascal or Borland Pascal for Windows.

I'm not interested in the free pascal compiler, that - i have downloaded it from www.freepascal.org.

I want the whole program, the whole Pascal, not just the compiler.

If you know of such Pascal, please tell me where i can get it from.

Thank You.

gidday

As a hardcore pascal-coder from the very early TurboPascal- to the most recent Delphi-times, I'm sorry to inform you that you won't get something as "spiff" as Delphi for the *ix-platforms.

The only solution that I know of, and which "works to some extent" is the Lazarus Project which you can find at

>> http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org

Lazarus is a quite nice attempt to bring a RAD-IDE a la Delphi to Linux, still though, it's based on the FreePascal-compiler. That, of course, means that you have to download the FP-compiler, the Lazarus-IDE and maybe some other modules.

I've tested Lazarus (quite some time ago) under RedHat 7something, I think) and if you stick to somewhat standard-components like edit-boxes, combos, treeviews and the like you can stitch together GUI-apps quite comfortably. One question remains, though, and that is "installation". I have no clue if the Lazarus-RPM can smoothly be integrated into MDK, so, you will have to do a little "try and error" regarding that matter.

The other solution would be of commercial status, comes from Borland, and is called "Kylix". Kylix was once advertised as _the_ RAD-IDE for the major OS, but truth revealed it was more of a "rapid pain in the a**". Installation issues on *ix-flavours aside from RedHat, imcompatibilites everywhere and IDE and apps crashing for no apparent reason have been commonplace up to the most recent versions that I have tested (v3something, I think).

My advice: If it has to be Pascal, check out the Lazarus-thingie, as it's free and quite well documented. Another option would be to go with some languages that *ix-OS' have been made of, to wit: C or C++ (C#). For those you get a fancy IDE (KDevelop e.g.) with all the tools a developer could hope for (CVS, diff etc.).

Or you might give the Eclipse-IDE a try and divert into Java for total platform-independancy. If neither C nor Java are valid options, just dismiss the last lines smile

hope that helps

Thank you for your help, but i would like to ask you one more thing: Does any option that you've mentioned above have debug tools(like watch, breakpoints and so on, like the turbo pascal or borland pascal for windows have)?

That's what i'm actually interested in. If they don't, they're useless. frown

'lo again

Quote:
Does any option that you've mentioned above have debug tools(like watch, breakpoints and so on, like the turbo pascal or borland pascal for windows have)?

Yessiree, the Lazarus IDE comes with a more or less full blown set of debugging tools like "local variables", "call stack" and whatnot. Check out this screenshot here ...

Lazarus at work

Looks like the Lazarus-project has evolved to a point that I should check it out again smile