Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nade

Shareing files

Ok, I have two things, but I think that they are connected in a way. I have RH 8.0 on my desktop and Windows XP on my laptop. I have a router that is Linux compatible, and a shared Internet connection, but I want to Share a few files between the two machines, how would I be able to do this. Also I want to set up a remote computer connection from my laptop (XP) to my desk top (Linux) how would I go about doing that? To clarify what I just said I want a window in RedHat that has my xp computer on it. That was some awkward wording ^_^ Thanx

PS if you could use laymans terms on this or explain th technical stuff for me I would appreciate iit. I am still new to Linux. thanks again

To share files between your laptop and desktop computer you should look into samba. It's a little tricky to get working right but when it's done you will be able to share files between the two. For your second question it sounds like you want to use VNC.

Alright I'll play around with those and see if I can't get it working. I will post again if I run into any problems. thanks

If you can try to get a copy of Mandrakes samba.conf file, they have it very well documented.... I'll fire up my laptop later and see if I have samba installed.

Quote:
Ok, I have two things, but I think that they are connected in a way. I have RH 8.0 on my desktop and Windows XP on my laptop. I have a router that is Linux compatible, and a shared Internet connection, but I want to Share a few files between the two machines, how would I be able to do this. Also I want to set up a remote computer connection from my laptop (XP) to my desk top (Linux) how would I go about doing that? To clarify what I just said I want a window in RedHat that has my xp computer on it. That was some awkward wording ^_^ Thanx

PS if you could use laymans terms on this or explain th technical stuff for me I would appreciate iit. I am still new to Linux. thanks again

Download the tightVNC Windows version. The Windows version is both a client and a server.

Now connect to it from RedHat. Mandrake provides the tightvnc software in their standard installation. I have a machine running Red Hat, but it's not on right now. If I turn it on, I'll let you know whether red hat provides an easy way to do this.

Be aware that tightvnc is very optimized in Linux, but not so much in Windows. This means that performance will be generally better when you connect to a tightvnc Linux server from windows than the other way around. Of course, your hardware also plays a role in all of this.

Best of luck