Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shakedown

Logon window location

Does anyone know of a way to set the logon window to display in a corner instead of the center of the screen?

My PC is on a domain so I dan't have the usual HOME logon screen.

What I have is a custom screen behind the 'Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon' screen. Unfortunately the main part of the picture is in the center of the screen. I would like to move the logon box to the bottom left when I boot up.

TIA

download reshacker and open the following resource:

%windir%\system32\msgina.dll

now scroll down to the dialogs. to the right are the source for the scripts that determine what that window and other dialogs look like. the position and size of each dialog are in the first line.

here's an example script from my horked msgina:

[tt]1500 DIALOGEX 6, 18, 274, 175

STYLE DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CAPTION

CAPTION "Log On to Windows"

LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US

FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg", FW_DONTCARE, FALSE, 0

{

CONTROL "handle:", 1506, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 6, 83, 43, 8

CONTROL "", 1502, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_AUTOHSCROLL | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 56, 81, 162, 12

CONTROL "pass:", 1507, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 6, 100, 43, 8

CONTROL "", 1503, EDIT, ES_LEFT | ES_PASSWORD | ES_AUTOHSCROLL | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER | WS_TABSTOP, 56, 98, 162, 12

CONTROL "domain:", 1508, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 6, 117, 43, 8

CONTROL "", 1504, COMBOBOX, CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_SORT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP, 56, 115, 162, 144

CONTROL "crawl", 1505, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP | WS_TABSTOP, 56, 134, 162, 10

CONTROL "", 2406, STATIC, SS_ICON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 6, 148, 20, 20

CONTROL "go", 1, BUTTON, BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 55, 154, 50, 14

CONTROL "nevermind", 2, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 109, 154, 50, 14

CONTROL "poweroff", 1501, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 163, 154, 50, 14

CONTROL "opts", 1514, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 217, 154, 50, 14

CONTROL "Optional Legal Announcement", 2400, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 6, 47, 261, 25

CONTROL "This computer is in use and has been locked.", 1852, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 48, 7, 219, 8

CONTROL "Unable to determine User name information.", 1952, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 48, 21, 219, 19

CONTROL "", 2404, STATIC, SS_ICON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 13, 7, 20, 20

CONTROL "Unlock Computer", 2421, BUTTON, BS_GROUPBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 0, 0, 273, 44

}

[/tt]

so, the position of this dialog is 6,18 [x,y].

i think.

i could be completely wrong.

i've only horked the strings and bitmaps, not the definitive ints.

if that doesn't work for you, play around with the other ints.

note: to actually view what your changes actually do, you have to run a batch similar to the following.

[tt]cd %windir%\system32\

del msgina.old

ren msgina.dll msgina.old

copy C:\horks\msgina\msgina.dll .\

exit

[/tt]

if you have file-protection enabled, it will ask you if you're sure you want to change a system critical file. click cancel, then yes.

and then REBOOT!

of course i can explain what that script does if you don't read batch.

actually, msgina is sort of protected.

xp whines when you replace it, but you only have to reassure it that you probably know what you're doing by clicking 2 buttons.