Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mr_yellow

TNT2 Drivers w/ different TNT2 Cards: SURVEY

Aww... not ANOTHER tnt2 driver question??

nonono.. just a quick(maybe notso quick) survey. I've been tracking the w2k driver issue for the nvidia cards awhile now. I've noticed a very large difference in opinions for each and every driver release since the introduction of d3d enabled drivers.

I have a xentor32 (tnt2ultra).

My experiences with all the drivers differs from all of the other tnt2 owners that come onto this forum to spew their troubles. I was wondering if type of manufacturer of the card has any relavence on driver issues.

(after writing about a couple paragraphs, I thought i'd delete it and shorten it up a bit. hope you can follow)

prior to 3.36(2021-rc2): the most stable drivers i ever had..(albeit broken drivers)

3.36(rc2-rc3): also pretty good. opengl worked sometimes. d3d non-exsitent.

3.5x(rc3-RTM): after trying these, I stayed the hell away from them. ddraw froze my system, so did opengl and d3d.

3.6x(RTM): same thing with 3.5x except for

3.69(RTM): the one driver that everything worked and was (relatively) stable! (maybe you'll remember my rant about it in the past threads)

3.75(RTM): same as 3.69. stuff worked great. but I turned the ddraw and d3d acceleration off via the display properties slider to eliminate the case where playing videos sent my monitor into sleep mode forever. Unfortunately, switching vids to 'full screen' still sometimes results in system freezes. BUT opengl runs great. ya!

so there you have it. the history of a xentor32ultra user.

mr_yellow

(of course all these won't matter two weeks from now when un-beta drivers are (hopefully) released that (hopefully) will work for all.)

I have problem, maybe you can help. I have a xentor tnt2 ultra card and no matter what driver I use, I only get a black screen when 2000 boots up. I've installed the detonator drivers 3.69 and 3.75 and neither work. I have a VIA chipset in my motherboard if that helps at all. Any ideas? Thanks.

I had the same problem, because I started with older drivers, v3.68. Connecting a different (smaller res) monitor to my system allowed me to change resolutions and fix the problem. For me, the problem was a weird low-refresh rate that my 21" Hitachi 801 wouldn't handle. Once I got to change the settings to something more zesty, everything worked fine. Hope that does it for you!

:}

Welp, in my findings with that card (the very bane of my exhistance) I've found that the sure fire drivers are either the nVIDIA Detonator 1.89 for Win2k Drivers, Stable and fast as far as 2d. No AGP support tho. I'm using an ALi chipset motherboard which has the same problems. I retired my va-503+ to the closet. I swapped it with a asus 3800-TVR (TNT2 w/ video in out) it worked fine with the new w2k detonators. Supposedly, although they'll deny it, comes from a lack of power to the agp port. ALI and VIA both claim its cause nvidia can't write drivers. BS. I've talked indepth we the lame people explaing to them I'm an OEM dealer and we need these drivers they have offered no help what soever. But they assure me they know they're card rock and suck at the same time, and they will have them out soon as someone there learns enough english to read the microsoft white papers.

BlackIce

Make sure your MOBO Bios is up to date. I had problems with my Viper 770 until I flashed my Bios....

the 3.75 drivers work great with the Viper 770. I loaded 3.76 earlier and I could not get any games to run stable....

Hi there!

I have an Asus V3800 TVR (=TNT2 with TV out & TV in) (BIOS 2.05.13a sb), used with an Asus P2B mainboard (BIOS 1011).

All driver versions have worked very well for me (3.36-3.75) on the different Win2k versions (RC1, RC2, RC3, Final), except some earlier versions (I think up to 3.56) had problems under Quake III: sometimes the image freezed and only the little square "behind" the player face was still updated. After ~10 seconds (more or less random), it went away and everythink worked again.

The 3.75 drivers work flawlessly, although I can't use my video in, as this is an Asus specific feature and the need to make Win2k drivers first! (I hope they'll do it soon!)

DXDIAG.EXE also says that AGP support is enabled, and all games I tried work fine: Quake I/II/III, Half-Life, System Shock 2, Starcraft, Aliens vs Predator, Starfleet Command.

nova.