Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
latino85

USB PORTS NOT WORKING, HELP!!!!

Okay first of all i really dont know how this happened

ALL i was doing was unplugging my pc and dusting out every nook and cranny with the air can. Then after reconnecting every card and even the main processor i turn the thing on and everything seems to work great until i hit the main windows xp desktop.

I find out my damn mouse isnt working, it is connected to one of my two USB ports on the back of my pc that came built in. Funny thing is when i first boot the pc and it asks for my password, the optical light on my mouse is on and WORKING but then suddenly it goes OFF!!! no more damn optical light?!!?!?!

therefore no more optical mouse!!! and now all i can use is the stupid painfully annoying ball mouse. I have already tried the device manager in My Comouter and the Universal Serial Bus controller's icon is not even listed???? ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I CAN OR HOW THIS HAPPENED??? I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO USE MY USB PORTS??????

Im running 500mghz, Pentium III, 256MB, Windows XP PRO

PLAESE HELP?????

I have run into the situation a few times before. If your optical mouse came with a CD with drivers, go and reinstall those. Then proceed to run your systems Add remove hardware, you system should notice the USB ports. Let me know how it turns out.

Shaun

Originally posted by latino85:

Quote:
Funny thing is when i first boot the pc and it asks for my password, the optical light on my mouse is on and WORKING but then suddenly it goes OFF!!! no more damn optical light?!!?!?!

Do you mean at the POST stage (ie, you have a power on password)? Make sure that the computer's onboard USB Controller isn't disabled in the BIOS. On most motherboards, if it's set to disabled it won't actually turn them off until the POST process has completed which would explain the flashing of the optics. Having it disabled would also explain the USB Controller's absense in Device Manager.

The worst case scenario is that the controller circuitry is shot (unlikely), you could pick up a cheap PCI USB controller in that case though.

This is a hardware conflict. I had the samething with my Micropoint installing W2K.

The optical mouse would light-up and then go out. No USB ports.

I disabled my sound card. Then let the OS find new hardware (USB). After everything was working, I re-enabled the sound card. Works like a charm.

Depending on your PC it could also be the modem card. Just disable them under Hardware Manager.

YO!!! ross_aveling YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot, you were soo right and now i am a happy user, WHAT A RELIEF, and as for the rest of u guys, i appreciate your advice thank you so much.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!