Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
omniscientist

Mandrake 10.1 and SATA harddrive

Hello, I have used linux before but I have decided to try out the Mandrake 10.1 x86-64 edition because, well I have a amd-64 and I wanted to see what happens smile

First off my specs:

AMD 64 3200+ processor

MSI K8N Neo Platinum nforce3 250gb motherboard with nvidia sata controller

Seagate Barracuda S-ATA hard drive

Anyway the installation will start, I will choose the language and accept the license, and after accepting the license it will say it found my nvidia sata controller and some other devices, and ask me if I have any more devices...if I click No, it will say "error no device has been found to install mandrake to" and it will loop, asking me again if there are any more devices. If i click Yes it gives me a big list to choose from of what devices may be on there. If I click on any of them it will do the exact same thing as clicking No, however if I click seagate (my hard drive) it will say something different : "Loading module seagate failed, would you like to load it with different parameters?" Doing this pops up a prompt...I dunno what to type tho, there was an example on the prompt of what to type in and it was something like 0x008 irq 7....sooo not too sure what to write...

Anyone have any ideas please?

Actually I'm sorry, I provided some incorrect and vague information....

Ok actually what happens after I agree to the license is it says "installating nvidia sata driver" for a couple seconds, and then my printer starts making some sounds ??!?! then it will say what devices it has found and ask if there's any more...the only device I have found that it accepts when I choose more devices is the low level driver for the nvidia sata controller, but it still ends up saying "cannot find any devices to create a file system on and install mandrake...." is my printer screwing it up lol?

LOL! I had the same problem when I installed Mandrake 10 with my HP 5550. It would, without rhyme or reason, spit out paper at the weirdest intervals! This happened on two different installs! This, and other problems I encountered, were enough for me to give Mandrake 10 a pass.

My HP 5550 works flawlessly with CUPS under Fedora Core 1 & 2, and Suse 9.1.

Maybe another distro might be worth consideration if all else fails...

Hi everyone,

I think everyone gets hung up on the printer noise here. I think ther real problem is - Dapper Dan can not install his Mandrake.

And as a matter of fact I have the same problem, only I have a Maxtor drive - connected to a SATA bus in my Soltek 3801 (AMD64). It mentions nothing of Seagate of course - and any driver I try from the list provided (as described above) won;t work. Always the same error "no device has been found to install mandrake to".

I guess it is a matter of supplying the out of the box Mandrake with an additional nvidia 250GB driver during the installation.

Any tips would be appreciated as to

- where to find such a driver

- and how to apply it during the installation

P.s.: I don;t have a floppy drive ;-)

- Soli

Hi all,

I have a P4 rig see below;

P4 3ghz

Abit AS8 mombo

2x512 OCZ dual channel

Maxtor 80gig SATA

Radeon 9800Pro 128mb

NEC DVD-RW 1300A

on board sound & nic

Lian Li PC-5 Aluminum ATX

Enermax Noisetaker 370w PSU

Canon i550 usb printer

Dual boot WinXP + Mandrake 10.1

Mandrake 9.1 did the same for me.

Since Mandrake 9.2 the install detects my SATA drive with no problems at all.

I think it's like Soll30 said, you need to supply a driver at that point.

Check with MSI & Nvidia for a linux driver.

Hi omniscientist,

i have the same configuration as that of yours except for the motherboard being asus k8ne-deluxe

i am facing the same problem while installing mandrake 10.0

as your posting is 3 months old hope u might have got some solution.. plz help me out.. my id is sriramchandrk@gmail.com

regards

Sriram.