Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ikirioko

Limewire

I just downloaded limewire for linux, but it has no readme file where i can see how i install it. It's a .bin file, i've just begun using linux, so i tried decompressing with tar -x but it does nothing. I double-clicked it and nothing happened. Suggestions anybody?

From the instructions on the website;

Linux - Open a shell and cd (change directory) to the directory where you downloaded the installer. At the prompt type: sh ./LimeWireLinux.bin

Installing Limewire

I am now trying to install the java virtual machine here, cause the limewire installer requires it to work. After getting over with this other problem, i'll check out those instructions again. Meanwhile, suggestions are very welcome.

I have tried one more time to install the j2sdk, it didn't give out any problems. Still, the limewire installer

(sh ./LimeWireLinux.bin)

tells me that "there is no Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH environment variable." What does this mean?

Isn't there a gnutella client or something like that that does the same thing as limewire? Cause i am getting really tired of looking for that environmental PATH variable. Have no idea what the error is.

amule uses gnutella network and doesn't need java.

To help you understand what limewire is lookin for...

type echo $PATH at the cmd line this will display what is in your "path" where programs are allowed to execute from.

typicly /usr/bin/ /usr/share/ and so on.

To add java to your path you need to edit your .profile or .bash_profile and add the full path to java in the section that looks like the output from your echo $PATH command. To make this a system wide change you can add this to /etc/profile as root.

make a backup of whatever you edit in case you need to back out of the cange. cp -p /etc/profile /etc/profile.orig

I can eloborate if this is too confusing or if you care. wink I'd use amule I like it better anyway,

GTK-Gnutella installs without quarrel. It does the same thing, only not as pretty...

egorgry, could you go into this java path business? I remember when I first started using Linux over three years ago, I almost committed supuku trying to get java in my path so I could install StarOffice.

I have stayed away from this java path business ever since.

After much therapy and many long nights drinking scotch and playing Team Fortress, I think I might want to learn now.

Please don't be surprised though if I run out of the room screaming...

Thank you all, i actually was missing the PATH variable for java. All i did then was specify it, like so:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06/bin sh ./LimeWireLinux.bin

Using LimeWire now, excellent. 8)