Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
somethingotherthenwindows

Thank you ALL!!!

I would just like to thank you guys for sticking with me. it is really great that you guys are here for me to answere my questions. and i do realize now (daperdan) that i was geting a little crazy. and i bet its not good for your HD to install so many distros. realizing this i grabed my old mandrake and installed that on my laptop. guess what???? it found my wireless card and my video card fine. if i would have just stuck to one distro then i could have gotten that on my laptop alot sooner.... thank you guys again for helping me. my postest will be less frequint now.

glad to hear you got it to work, now you can actually play around with linux. And i have to say the community here is excellent

on the too many distros or messing with hard drive in general isnt that good for a drive i lost 9 gigs of space over the course of a few months from formating reformating consistently but any time you need any help post here

"The newest is not the best". You've got that right! Tested this weekend so far in order; Suse, Knoppix (from the cd just for a quick peek and yes you can install to the hdd) and Mandrake. Fedora2 and Knoppix (hdd install) are yet to come (on a spare hdd 'cause I don't want it wiping out my winbloze, not yet anyway). Well so far it is Suse ahead by a mile. The only major beef is it sets up my Nvidia Geforce fx5200 for 2D okay, as soon as you try to get the 3D working by update or nvid site driver, BIG TROUBLE!. Mandrake had no internet systray icon and insisted on a connect at boot setting (I think the firewall is buggy too). Suse found my Brother HL-1435 no problem, Mandrake 'saw' it but refused to let me set it up. Mandrake in KDE, would not give me the right refresh for my Optiquest Q71 (which is plug and play, Suse 'saw' it and set it up ok). Neither of them 'saw' my old Vivicam20 that is retired for webcam use on usb (they 'knew' the cam was there, just didn't want to set it up). Same for my AOpen FM56-PX modem.

Hardware; P!!!733MHz on Apollo Pro 133A chipset, 512MB sdram, Nvidia Geforce fx5200/128MB, 80Gig Seagate (running at ata66) and a D-Link DFE-530TXS (which worked in both but both labled it Sundance somthing or other).

Suse pros; excellent hardware detection and indepth settings (you can get lost for days). 'Pretty' desktop enviroment (KDE) and the setup/update tools are good. It also has a better partioner than Mandrakes, Mandrake's made me a little nervous. Felt more stable than Mandrake and 'burped' very little. Perfect for newbies. Decent execution and speed.

Suse Cons; I was real p*ssed that they say on their site to update the Nvidia driver (through YOU-Your Online Update) and you should have no problems, yeah, right (managed to get Realplalyer 10 installed though). Then it rejected Nvidia's driver (insult to injury). Big download for extra software and patches, if you are on dialup, stay away.

Mandrake Pros; I found the simplicity a bit refreshing but it was too simple in some 'key' areas like hardware management. The install was fairly fast and painless. The multimedia was 'better' (I use the term loosely) right out of the box.

Mandrake Cons; Blah KDE desktop enviroment (less screen savers, etc.). Some of the utilities and programs were unco-operative. They bugged me to do a survey at the first boot desktop (cheezy). Poor or non-existent indicators of what it is doing (during update) and no summary. 'K' menu organization sucks. I can't see myself using this fulltime or paying $60 a year for support (the nerve). The Konquerer bookmarks were full of Mandrake sites (stinks of Microslop's Favorites right out of the box). In general, it felt stubborn, slow and flakey at times.

In closing, I can see why Suse is becoming popular fast. I just hope they don't get too 'corporate' on us. I would buy Suse every couple of years if they cleaned up the bugs a little more.

Hi ReFoRMaT, and if we haven't said so already, welcome! smile

Thanks for the excellent report on your experiments with these distros. I am with you all the way with Suse! Iv'e been using RedHat/Fedora, and I'm really loving Suse 9.1 Professional. It is very intuitive and easy to install. The thing I really like about the Suse install, is it lays it all out there for you to check over and edit. You can change and reconfigure anything at will before committing to the install. I also like the way it handles drives and partitioning. I love being able to format with RieserFS which is not offered with the Fedora install.

I haven't had any trouble with installing the NVIDIA 3d "drivers," that worked out pretty easy for me.

Unlike Fedora, Suse gives me my favorite DE, IceWM, and my old stand by browser, Galeon. Flash and Java are already configured as well.

The only drawback with Suse for me was finding out how to bring up Nautilus, Gedit, and Konqueror as root. I found out that just doing, "su" isn't enough. You have to go: sux -l root or it won't bring it up.

I still have Fedora Core 1 on my box, but have gotten to where I'm using Suse 99% of the time! smile

Originally posted by somethingotherthenwindows:

Quote:
if i would have just stuck to one distro then i could have gotten that on my laptop alot sooner.... thank you guys again for helping me. my postest will be less frequint now.

Don't be less frequent in your posting! wink Stick around a jabber with us about Linux! Let us know what you're working on, and give us a heads up if something is giving you trouble, or you find an easier way to do something! A lot of times you'll find info on Google about how to tackle a problem, but the solution is not that clear. In such cases, please let us know so we can help out! smile I'm glad Mandrake is working out for you! Which version?

I think there is a problem with the NOvidia FX 5200 on the Via Appollo chipset because even the NOvidia/winbloze driver sets the agp speed to 2x and there is no way to change it (even an ATI card looked like h*ll @ 4x). So I am guessing there is nothing wrong with Suse or the driver, I just have a glichy video card on an oddball chipset. Redhat 9.0 gave me a nice blank screen when it tried out its driver on this machine. At least Suse has the decency to make nice with the 2D. I seem to wind up with junkers that have goofy chipsets. Had an 800MHz Athlon/slot A on an Irongate chipset (Via/AMD combo) once and it was a pain in the rumpuss room. The only thing good about it, it was an Asus board. Now the Mom-inlaw is using it for chat/email/browser (I used to be anti-Intel/Microslop, now I am just anti-Microslop). Some AMD cpu's might be fast but they run way too hot and I can 'trip' one up in a heart beat. AMD is always trying to keep up with Intel, so they are always pushing their chips almost to their limits, making them run hot. That's right, I am saying AMD sells cpu's pre-overclocked. What happens when you overclock an Intel? It gets hot! Go figure!

Well, i guess i will post a little more it seems that i post alot less now. maybe to much less. well anyways, because i have no job or school and am lways bored i went ahead and did a bad thing.... i got ssssooooo tired of linux not being able to support the video area of my stuff. (radeon igp 345M (laptop) and radeon 9600SE (bigbox)) very expenive video cards mind you. that i went out and stole a geforce fx 5500 agp 8x. now this was no candy bar.. i kinda feel bad. 120 bucks. BUT when i think of how i wasted 120 on the radeon plus buying a laptop with radeon and it doent work i smile. no driver for the 5500. but i can use the 5600 and it does just fine. hehe im happy now with linux. its COMPLETE on my bigbox. internet works great, video works awesome, speed is good. laptop lacks though. but i use bigbox more now anyways.

P.S. danleff and dapper dan. if u think is inapropriate for me to say i stole it, then please delete anything you want!

Quote:
P.S. danleff and dapper dan. if u think is inapropriate for me to say i stole it, then please delete anything you want!

Saying that you stole a video card, is not in itself something to be moderated on this forum. However, since you freely and openly admit that you did steal the card, you are admitting to theft which is dishonest, criminal and worst of all dishonorable. You SHOULD feel bad about it.

You'll receive no further help from me.

then maybe i should have just lied about it. i didnt want to make you mad and get no more help..... i know its bad, but so much crappy stuff has happend to me im just paying it back to society! you wonder why columbine happend??? because people like you are making people like me feel bad. maybe i should just go and pay my debt to society for ever.... did u think something like you just saying that would make me go do something bad? probably not. good thing im not a psyco!

Quote:
...because people like you are making people like me feel bad.

People like you make me feel bad. Ever think of that? You steal something and admit it, look for attention, then you lash out at those who give you attention because it is negative.

So I should change my post to:

Good work on stealing! I hope your stay in jail is everything you wanted it to be! Best wishes for the future!
-crazykillerman

Not exactly... Maybe if you guys would not think of it how MTV would show you. I'm not looking for attention. I had a hardware update. I told you. I thought some of these people where my friends and tell me that it was wrong, and to take it back or something. Instead you make fun and abondon. Because you think I'm some kid looking for attention?? How much do you know about any of our lives??? Even though now I do look like a kid wanting attention (which I hate those kids). I'm going to go ahead, change my name, and get back on this forum as someone new. This will be my last post as somethingoterthenwindows.

Not that I really care what you guys think. Most of you are probably fat hairy people that spend more time on the computer then on your girlfriends/Wifes. If you have any.

Goodbye, have fun with your LINUX discussions.

P.S. Does anyone know why the underline, bold, etc. commands dont work??

Quote:
Not exactly... Maybe if you guys would not think of it how MTV would show you.

Maybe if you guys would not think of it as society taking a dump on you. STFU and live. I do. I have bills, I've been frigged over. I know I would be ashamed to steal a video card, and if I did I certainly would not talk about how "it isnt just a candybar - thats how leet I am!"

Quote:
I thought some of these people where my friends and tell me that it was wrong, and to take it back or something.

You should know that stealing is wrong. How is it our responsibility to tell you to take it back. Besides, would you?

Quote:
How much do you know about any of our lives???

Not valid. How much do you know about mine?

Quote:
Not that I really care what you guys think. Most of you are probably fat hairy people that spend more time on the computer then on your girlfriends/Wifes. If you have any.

Pretty high and mighty, man. Pretty high. I hope you get to see how this is totally childish from re-reading it in my post.
Quote:

P.S. Does anyone know why the underline, bold, etc. commands dont work??

You missed the / in the last u tag. It's kinda like HTML.

Quote:
One more thing...

This whole topic was about thanking you guys... haha.

Understood. If I re-read all the posts again, I seem to see a string of text from DapperDan inviting you back and to post more often. And more welcome's ReFoRMaT as well. Hmmm....let's see. ReFoRMaT didnt confess to commiting a crime, and he certainly didnt call us all "fat and hairy"

Welcome ReFoRMaT. See you later somethingotherthenwindows.
Nice discussing with you.

all right i read this post in school when the last comment was about stealing and was going to say something not so negative was the remark

i know you were not trying to get attention or anything but that is how it comes across

the fat and hairy comment unsure if you were serious or joking is still uncalled for

and i got somthing to say you say you got a crappy hand

Quote:
but so much crappy stuff has happend to me im just paying it back to society!

all right i used to act like this alot then i thought about it there are kids out there who have cancer and are dying before 20 and worse, shit just live each day the fullest you can and try to keep it legal and think if you were in one of those kids

Quote:
Maybe if you guys would not think of it how MTV would show you

all right i sorta agree here seeing as how i dress gothic and act goth, too many people view opinions based on pop culture/mainstream(not here though), but in no way have i gotten the opinion that anyone here is biased in anyway whatsoever

Quote:
when i think of how i wasted 120 on the radeon plus buying a laptop with radeon and it doent work i smile

okay shit happens simple my computer didnt work with linux i waited 6 months and then got a dingy 650 mhz computer

trying to solve the problem couldve taught you alot, i know i learned alot trying to get linux working on my newer computer

Quote:
my friends and tell me that it was wrong, and to take it back or something

well its good that you have friends making sense thats what i was going to recommend to you but hey, infact still in effect when you do scrounge up the cash anonymously leave it at the store.

Originally posted by somethingotherthenwindows:

Quote:
then maybe i should have just lied about it.

Why did you even mention that you stole it? It certainly doesn't help anyone here with your Linux problems to have that information. I think you mentioned it because you wanted someone here to think it was cool that you committed theft and that would help ease you conscience about it. Thank god you at least felt bad about it.

Quote:

i didnt want to make you mad and get no more help.....

I'm sure you didn't, and you didn't make me mad. However, any reasonably intelligent person like you should have expected that might be a possible reaction from others. You can't very well post on a forum that you stole a video card and expect everyone to praise you for it.

Quote:

i know its bad, but so much crappy stuff has happend to me im just paying it back to society!

That's just an excuse. Besides, even if it were the reason, who appointed you the Lone Ranger? Do you honestly believe life is supposed to be easy, and that good things will always happen? Everyone on this forum including me can tell horror stories of personal indignities and wrongs done to them. Life is tough and royally sucks often, don't you know that? The sooner you learn it the better! The question is, what are we gonna do about it? When you come up against one of life's many obstacles you either go under it, around it, through it or over it! You don't sit in the toilet and cry all night!

Quote:

you wonder why columbine happend??? because people like you are making people like me feel bad.

Columbine happened because people ceaselessly want to blame others for their problems whether those others had anything to do with it or not. It all boils down to the irresponsibility of our society. No one is ever to blame for their problems! It's always someone else's fault. We have become a nation of whiners.

Quote:

maybe i should just go and pay my debt to society for ever.... did u think something like you just saying that would make me go do something bad? probably not. good thing im not a psyco!

If you WERE psycho, your conscience wouldn't be bothering you. It is my hope you have somehow found something positive from this experience. I would have:

1. Don't steal, it's not worth it. Better to live poorly in honor than in riches with dishonor.

2. If I do steal, I won't write about it on a forum.

3. If I do steal and write about it on a forum, I won't be surprised if others tell me I've done something wrong.

somethingotherthenwindows there IS a solution:

Put $150.00 in an envelope, and mail it to the store where you stole the card, with an anonymous note explaining what happened. You'll immediately feel much better about the whole incident, gauranteed!

I generally don't respond to these discussions, but here we go.

somethingotherthenwindows has a decision to make. It's obvious that we will not validate what he did. However, the idea of these forums is to share problems andsolutions. Linux is not free, we share our ideas and experiences. Hopefully we contribute to the Linux society. Most of us realize that, as Spock said;

Quote:
Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

If somethingotherthenwindows decides to post back and take Dapper Dan's solution, or a reasonable course of action, this would go far in re-establishing his credability. I hope he does, even if he does not share it with us. If he chooses to continue to "steal" by using another nickname to get answers on these forums, that is his choice also.

However, if he chooses the former, he should be welcome back. then he may find that;

Quote:
Sometimes the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many

I hope that he does the right thing.

This may wind up being an exceedingly long post, but I want to relay a story.

A friend of mine is a reformed alcoholic. I knew this long before we became friends, but never discussed it with him. One day he brought the subject up, and I asked him how he got off the booze.

What he told me was very enlightening.

He said he tried for years to quite drinking to no avail. It was easy to fall back into drunkenness when everyone around him kept telling him that he was a victim, and his alcoholism was a disease and it wasn't his fault.

He said as long as others reinforced in his mind that he wasn't responsible for his actions, it was easy to just go back on the bottle.

He then said it was only when an old friend told him that he WAS responsible for his actions, and that he was, “nothing more than a damn drunk,” that he quit drinking. His friend had shamed him into doing the right thing...

I hope you're right danleff. As a Christian I condemn the action, not the person. I have nothing personally against somethingotherthenwindows, I only feel sorrow he chose to steal.

Rather than risk not saying anything, I thought it best to try and shame my new friend somethingotherthenwindows into also doing the right thing. It was my intention to show him there are consequences for choosing the wrong course.

In some circles I think it is referred to as “tough love”...

danleff, I seem to remember he said he was seventeen. As a couple of old horses like us know, The actions you take as a youth often sets the course for the rest of your life.

somethingotherthenwindows obviously knows what he did was wrong, otherwise he wouldn't feel shame about it. I hope the guilt he is now feeling will deter him from stealing again, because a life of thievery and dishonesty can only lead to hardship, emptiness and sorrow.

I've seen MANY such cases...

If he rights this wrong, I for one will welcome him back under his old name, (or new one if he chooses to reveal who he is), as a valued member of Linuxcompatible, and the Linux community in general.

Let's hope he chooses wisely, not for our sake, but for his.

Dan, I agree with you. After being inthe mental health business for some 20+ years, different methods work with different personality styles. "Tough Love" or confronting one with their actions is one method (some of us used in this case), which somethingotherthenwindows obviously rebelled against, but he may eventually "get it."

Alcoholism is a disease, as it alters the way the body responds to the drug, it is an addiction. However, a person needs to decide how he/she will cope with the disease. Blame others or take charge of bad things that happen in one's life.

Another example. I've treated many Diabetics who insist on keeping bad eating habits, despite their disease. This is their choice, but they are still responsible for their actions, the final outcome. If they choose to deal with their disease, that where the progress begins.

I now work as a health administrator with teens in the criminal justice system. I've seen boot camp (tough love at the extreme) work, as well as simply giving the person the mentor or role model that they never had. The course of one's life is what they choose, rather than the role that they play or choose.

These forums are about getting help and giving back to the community of Linux users.

I hope this was the message that I put forth to somethingotherthenwindows.

Holy moly! Hey, somethingotherthanwindows, get a life! I had (let me rephrase, HAVE) a sh*tty life. But I don't go around ripping off people or businesses. Suicide and whining is for cry babies and wimps! My main objective, besides staying alive, is help put Microslop out of business in whatever little ways I can. Bill and friends are greedy, dangerous and scary people. Has anybody not noticed the fingerprint/password hardware. That is the beginning of the end of 'free' anything. Holy 'future is now' scenario. Down right scary. Makes something's problems look miniscule, huh?