Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BlackOps

Problem with Connecting

I've tried everything short of reinstalling Windows and I need some suggestions.

My home is networked with 5 computers running through a hub. Due to a few problems with Comcast (cable modem), I disconnected the router and use strictly the modem for connection.On my desk I have a laptop and a desktop, in which the desktop connects to the internet. The laptop does not.

I have used the "ipconfig /release", "ipconfig /renew" numerous times, but to no avail. I even used the "ipconfig /flushdns" to dump the cache files, but no luck. The autoconfig IP address will not release the IP 169.254.xxx.xx

I also recently downloaded and installed SP2, which I've been reluctent to do.

Lastly, I've reinstalled the driver. Still nothing!

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm seriously considering taking a hammer to my Vaio to vent my frustrations.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like your firewall is still using the IP address assigned for your computer through the router. If you are running SP2 turn your firewall off. If you are using a different firewall have it ping to find the new address. If it doesn't, turn it off also.

Then, power down the computer and pull the plug on the modem. Wait about 2 minutes. Then, power up the modem (if it is not USB) and wait for it to acqire the connection to the ISP. Then, power up the computer. Then, should get your desktop talking to the provider.

Sampson:

Thanks for the response.

I had disabled the SP2 firewall and disabled my own (ZoneAlarm Pro); turned off the cable modem (unplugged); turned off the laptop; disconnected the Ethernet cable and, powered back up. After the computer failed to find the IP on its own, I used the "ipconfig /renew" and again, nothing.

I've been messing with computers for nearly 25 years (back when DOS and CGA's were popular) and this is the first-time I've ever been stumped. I finally decided to delete SP2 to see if this would correct the problem. We will see...

Thanks again for the input.

Well, after uninstalling SP2... no go. Received a recent spoolsv.exe and ntdll.dll error when attempting to use IE and still no connection.

Tried upgrading from XP Home (came with the laptop) to XP Pro and it won't install due to a vobid.sys issue.

HELP!

buy a router like this "D-LINK 8PT 10/100 Nway Swch W/ Geth RJ45 Uplink", and subnet out for 10 computers. (ten so that your network has room to grow if needed). Subnetting rule is N(squared) - 2. If you can't find how to do this on google, invest in a book.

Oh, and for the love of god, if you haven't already done this, disable automatic updates in services. wait a good month or so before ever up[censored]. let those suckers deal with the bugs.

The 169.x.x.x IP address means that Windows cannot get an IP address from a DHCP server (typically a router or cable modem for home users). Obvious things to check include the cabling, physical connections, etc.