Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stormhalter

Sony DVD ROM (DDU 1621) not reading CDs

I have a Sony DVD ROM (DDU 1621) connected on the secondary IDE cable. It will show up in the BIOS on the master or slave connector on the IDE cable. It also shows up in Device Manager and in My Computer as "Compact Disc." Strangely enough I show two "Computer Disc" listings when I only have one DVD-ROM connected.

Device Manager shows the device is working properly. It also is listed in the POST screen that shows IDE devices connected.

Any idea on what might be happening? It won't read CDs or CD ROMs. I can connect a normal CD-ROM on the master or slave IDE and read it successfully.

The multiple 'Compact Disc' entries is the obvious problem. Check device manager and make sure only one DVD drive is shown, could be a driver detection issue. Check Sony's website for any info on this. If there is another DVD listed, disable it and reboot.

Checked device manager. There was a generic listing. Disabled it and rebooted, no change. Removed it and rebooted, still no change. The DVD-ROM listens to commands like Eject if I were to right-click it in My Computer and choose Eject. I put in a DVD and I hear it spin up and read it. That's it though.

Any other suggestions?

I had one of these. and it never work fine. sometime it was not detected, sometime when a disk was inserted it frezze the pc. Sometime it just did'nt work fine at all all the time. Usualy it crash 4 out of 5 time. So I got rid of it after spending 2 year trying to get answer from sony, up[censored] firmware, posting in forum. nothing worked ! I even tought it was a chip set problem untin I got this new Pioneer drv-108. and it work like a charm. So I guest I have the priviledge to tell you that you got f...

Well that what I think and sony is on my black list, whit 3com and others for bad support and fake product. I only get f... once ! that my modo.

Well good luck.

before you drop it in the garbage can. I still use it in older computer. I don't know why but it never crash untill now. Probably because the system is slower. but if you can change it go for it.

Thanks for the insight folks. I am currently running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (MSDN Version). It worked before on another computer, so perhaps it's the mainboard. The previous computer also had Windows 2000 Professional. I will try flashing the BIOS to a more recent version if it's available and try the firmware upgrade on the drive as well.