Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1-in-only

Help me folks

Hello to everyone out there !!!!

i am a brand new user of this forum.

In my first post, i wanna ask for some help for the following problem.

i am running windows 2000 (no service packs installed). since a few days my pc is hit by the msblast worm, as a result when i start my pc, i get a massaget saying: "the system is shutting down. please save all work in progress and log off. any unsaved changes will be lost. the system will restart in 59 seconds" and it does so.

i searched the internet and found the right patch for it from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;displaylang=en

I wanted to install the patch in safe mood, but that requires windows 2000 service pack 2 or later installed. I downloaded The service pack 4. but i cant install it since i cant connect to the internet in safe mood (i am using ADSL- broadband to connect the internet)..when attempting to install SP4, the setup stops and says i should download a verion of SP4 that does not require a web connection.I searched alot but couldnt find such verion. I have alot of assignements to do on my pc so any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Hats off

1-in-only

WHen you get the message to shut down your pc, do the following:

Open a RUN prompt (Windows key & R ---- Or Start > Run)

Type in (without the quotes)

'shutdown -a'

This will stop the shutdown happening, and you will be able to continue downloading SP4.

Good Luck

Thankas Yakkob and adamvjackson,

i installed the sp4 for windows 2000, also the following patch:

Windows2000-KB823980-x86-ENU

i installed them both in safe mood (since i cant install them in normal mood cuz of that in 59 secs shutdown thing)

i scanned my pc with blaster worm fix tool (in safe mood), the result was "no blaster worm found on your system"

normally i should get rid of this problem as it was said, but nothing huppened, the error come again with another massage saying: SVChost.exe generated errore and will restart.

And my pc restarts in 50 secs.

i was sure that once i install sp4 and that patch, i wont have this nasty problem again, but nothin huppened.

It is driving me nuts guys....i dont know what to do now.

please help me

thanks

You may want to try a removal tool from either Symantec or McAfee, you may have a variant of Blaster that is not detected by the Microsoft tool.

To protect against sasser and blaster you need these two patches besides SP4 (The one you posted seems to be an older version of the blaster patch, more vulnerabilities have been discovered since):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-012.mspx

A temporary solution is to apply the work-arounds decribed in the two patch-articles.