Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Cannot install IE hotfix 834707

When I try and install hotfix 834707 (the latest Internet Explorer update), the update program tells me I have an incorrect version of Internet Explorer.

I'm running Win2k SP4 with IE 5.01

The hotfix was listed for Win2k SP4 (with IE5.01), what else can I try?

No, the patch specifically states that it's for IE 5.01 (on Windows 2000 SP4).

Check the bulletin page:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-038.mspx

The link for the patch is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;displaylang=en

I have NO :P intention of upgrading IE beyond version 5.01, the day MS stop releasing patches for this version is the day I finally wash my hands of IE (being mainly a Firefox / Opera user, at present).

Thanks (as always) for your reponse APK,

The reson I don't use versions of IE beyond 5.01 is because the features MS added to 5.5 and 6.0 I do not need. I keep a stable unbloated system (as far as is possible) by only installing updates that actually fix problems I'm experiencing or include features that I would use on a regular basis.

I see that Opera has a beta available for 7.60, I'll wait for the 'finished' version I think. Much as I like Firefox, Opera tends to render pages faster and has a shed load of features built-in that you need to find plugins for with Mozilla based stuff (Opera's less resource hungry too I find).

I think I will have to do what you suggest and manually extract the files (I have had to resort to this trick on more than one occasion with a 'stubborn' hotfix!) However the patch includes updates to the registry which block numerous dodgy activex controls. I could always merge those manually I suppose *sigh*, but since I only have activex enabled for my trusted sites (very trusted!) then I don't think I need to bother, as I have IE set up to prompt me before attempting install anything!