Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DuncanYFZ#17

Doom 3 compatability issues, openGL shuts down...

I was searching google and I found this site, i registered to ask this question, if you can hear me out on this I would REALLY appreciate it. I bought Doom 3 today and when I went to install it, it did what it was supposed to do, after the installation I went to play it and it said it was unable to work.. let me see if I can get this image to work..

f6a0b6e4.jpg

and I searched for the latest driver for my video card.. the VIA/S3G KM400 integrated video card. I went to the website ( www.s3graphics.com ) and it had a link to the Doom 3 fix right on the front page! I was happy. After I downloaded it, when I went to the setup screen THIS happened..

f6a0b5af.jpg

Here is the log file from the install..

=========== S3SETUP LOG FILE - Started at 01:24:32 on 10-16-2004 ===========

S3Setup v1.00.02-DC (1.01.23) on Win XP

bAllowReboot: TRUE

bSilentReboot: TRUE

bPromptReboot: TRUE

bPromptSilentReboot: FALSE

bRemoveWindowsINF: FALSE

bDisableMenuAnim: FALSE

bDisableMenuShadow: FALSE

VendorID to find:5333

thats what the whole file said.. If somebody could get this patch for my video card to work I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it..

Quote:
VIA/S3G KM400 integrated video card

There's your problem. You'll need to purchase and install a new video card. Doom 3 is very demanding of your graphics card.

I broke down and bought a GeForce MX4000 from Walmart today, and when I installed it the game started but it was REALLY slow and choppy. I have a 2700+ AMD Athlon XP processor. 80gig HD, and 512 RAM. This passes the minimum requirements by FAR, what is the problem this time?

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the GFMX4000 is not a speed demon. You need more serious power in your graphics division. That card is very very weak, not to mention the 64MB of ram it has. Honestly, this graphics card can run need for speed underground fine, but doom3 is another story.

For example, I am running an overclocked P4 @ 3.55, an overclocked FX5600 and 1GB of ram, and there are places in doom3 that the game says 10-15fps. In 800x600, high detail.

I feel bad for yah Duncan, if you really want to run Doom 3 really well, you need a Pentium 4/Athlon 3GHz+, 1 GIG of RAM, and a video card with 256 MB RAM. The GeForce 440 line is way underpowered and have been on the market for a long time actually. If the XFX model came out then fine whatever, but other companies have been shiping GF440 Cards for awhile.

I have a P4-2.4GHz, 1 gig of RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB and Doom 3 slows down at 1024x768 at High and Medium Resolutions, and even at 800x600 on High or Medium. Its just that demanding of a game.

can I just buy a new processor and some more ram with a new video card and i'll be up to date? and what price range am I looking at? I'm kinda on a budget..

Why dont you overclock your videocard? I got doom 3 on my to working under normal. Nvidia geforce 4 mx440 64mb

Core Clock Frequency- 295 MHZ vs 250

Memory Clock frequency- 395 MHZ vs 333 laugh

Hi,

I know this is going to sound unbelievable but I have a Inno Geforce 4 MX440 AGP 64 meg and I can not believe that it takes everything that I throw at it??

I have Painkiller, Doom 3 and XIII and haven't really had many problems.

Ok, with the huge monsters in Painkiller it does slow down when you have the monster in view but it doesn't make it totally unplayable.

Because Doom 3 is all in small corridors with generally small expanses of playing areas it copes amazingly well.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard can't remember exactly but it's a 7VXP or something like that. My mate has the same specced system but on a MSI motherboard and mine must be at least a third maybe a half quicker than his! I only have a lowly 1600XP+ in my system with 512 meg of memory but it works a treat!!

I do, however have a quick and new extra harddisk, I would suggest if the game is choppy this is where your problem is more likely to lie, go out and get yourself a new harddisk and see how you go,

As always, let us know!!!

Cheers

Tricky_Luck

why dont you buy a ATi Radoen 9800 Pro or XT card?

(i got one on my third client-pc)

they are really cheap now, and it runs very well..

i can run the game on 1024x768 with high detail setting..

for everyone who knows alot about graphics cards they already thinks "yeah, but ATi cards are lousy at running OpenGL games

(like only doom3 engine runs at now), and i have to agree that its true, but the 9800 is better than any last generation Nvidia graphics cards, so i wouldnt want to buy that one..

and not everybody can afford a X800 platinum or the 6800 utlra..

so for the middlecard, i would choose the 9800 pro or xt.