Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Firefox sporadically dies.

Under Fedora Core 1, Core 2 and Suse 9.2 Professional, Firefox will, sporadically just die when I'm either going to a new web page, or making a new post on a forum. It happens often enough to be considered a nuisance. It has died on me when I press "preview" a couple of times, which is really irritating since that means I have to go back and type the whole post all over again.

Anyone else having similar problems with Firefox suddenly dying?

I was having that issue with firefox 0.92... i think... whatever one is in the sid repository. I removed it and compiled firfox 1.0 preview realease from source and it seems much more stable.

Forgot to mention, the version is 0.9.cvs.20040902-1. I might try to compile 1.0 and see if that helps. Thanks.

Well, I've been working on this a good while now...

I downloaded the tarball and it installed without a hitch into my home directory under firefox-installer.

Everything seemed to work swimmingly except I couldn't get Realplayer to work. I worked on this for hours, making symbolic links every which way I knew, but it just wouldn't work with Realplayer 8 or Gold 10.

I then went to delete it to start again, and when I looked in Yast2, I noticed firefox was available, listed as mozilla-firefox.

You see, I downloaded the rpm, (version above), thinking it was not in the Yast repositories, and that's what I've been running that has given me trouble.

I downloaded the version in Yast2, (I think it was 8.3), and so far it's working perfectly. Realplayer 8 is working with it as well.

It's too early to tell whether it will give me the same problems. I'll let y'all know how it works out...

I've never used Real for linux. I always use the w32codecs with mplayer and mozplugger. I'm really enjoying firefox 1.0pr I love the live bookmarks.

Man I hate when I come across sites like that. There is no reason that can't work. I play embeded media from apple, I can play mms:// streams, and real streams from other sites. every once and a while I run into this. It's usually news sites too. I was trying to figure out the videos source page to see if I could rip the videos location out of the source. If I get more time I'll try to figure it out.

The suspense is killing me

Did you ever get it working?

I have some FC#/Xine/Realplayer Issues and i was hoping for a good ending to this post.