Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ganeshkumar_kgk

LAN PROBLEM IN WINDOWS 2000 PRO

Hi

I'm having 2 systems at my place and both are unable to ping themselves and the other. both are connected to a d-link 8 pin hub for which a cablenet pin is connected. i'm able to connect to the net on both the systems but unable to access on another. cable net is connected thru a PPP over ethernet protocol. verified netbios, they are enabled. tcp/ip numbers are 172.168.1.1 and 172.168.1.4 and subnet is as usual 255.255.0.0.

whats should have happened. sometimes one system is able to acess another and it's printer but the second time it is not so. by the way both the systems have 2000 pro in it. previously they are working well.

tell something might.

thanks

Ganesh

Originally posted by ross_aveling:

Quote:
Shouldn't the subnet mask be 255.255.255.0?

255.255.255.0 is a very common one, but I make the subnet mask to be 255.255.255.254 in this case ;(

Not saying that I'm right though, it's just what I think.

Originally posted by Waffler:

Quote:
255.255.255.0 is a very common one, but I make the subnet mask to be 255.255.255.254 in this case ;(

Not saying that I'm right though, it's just what I think.

IIRC, a mask of 255.255.255.254 is invalid for a class C address (you'd end up with 126 subnets but NO hosts).

If you didn't want to use the 'very common' 255.255.255.0, use 255.255.255.224 instead, you'll have 6 subnets with 30 hosts on each. wink

This is irrelevant anyway, as it probably has nothing to do with ganeshkumar_kgk's original query.

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:
Do you have any firewall software installed?

I forgot to say i'm having Norton Internet Security 2002 on both the systems.

Ganesh

Thanks pal,

it worked. but sometimes one system is saying the computer is configured to access. some other times it is being accessed normally. now i've avg antivirus. both the systems have same users and same previleges. what might be the hurdle in that.

thanks once again.

Ganesh