Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Idolseye

Machine rebooting itself - minidumps created

Hi All, First post here!

Well, I managed to acquire a pc with hard drive/mobo and psu from work. It has an Asus P4B533-VM mobo in on bios version 1004. i think the last version is 1008 or 9. I bought a 2.4Ghz cpu off ebay to go into it which seems to be fine.

I first started it up, and was a little way through installing windows XP when it rebooted itself. I wasn't sure if it did as I thought it might have been part of the install but it did it again and again. At the time i was using a USB mouse so I took that out and thought it'd fixed it.

When XP was built it did it again and created a minidump. I put an addon video card in instead of using the onboard one (radeon 9500 pro) and the problem went away for another 20 mins but then it did it again. So far, I've changed the ram, checked the CPU temp (no higher than 45) and put a new vid card in.

I don't know what PSU is in there, but I wouldn't have thought that'd be it as its actually creating a Minidump file before it crashes. Any ideas?

Are you trying to overclock???

Make sure that your CPU voltage is the same as you have your motherboard and BIOS set to to start.

pin bab

Minidumps are usually hardware related tho, make sure your CDROM that you are installing from is not clashing with your hard disk.

Make sure the primary is your hard disk and your slave is set as the CDROM and they are not on CSEL as this could cause it.

Some types of CDROM require an 80 cable rather than a 40 and when it tries to spin up to read max it may fail if your not using the right cable.

Sorry if this is a bit rushed, I actually came on the site to check for something else but thought this maybe helpful???

hi Thanks for your reply.

I've unplugged everything except the hard drive, graphics, ram and chip and it started up fine then rebooted again. Tried another hard drive with Windows 2000 on and exactly the same happened.

Argh frown

ps: Not overclocking no. The chip that was in the mobo before was a 2.0Ghz P4 though. Would overheating cause this issue? Motherboard monitor says the chip is only at 38 - 40 degrees but i guess it could be wrong. Could it be a dodgy CPU?

When the machine actually started up you could guarantee a crash by going into device manager. Don't suppose that helps at all tho.

Same problem here and I have been searching the forums for an answer. Came upon this forum by Google search and am happy to see some answers here.

I have an ASUS P4P800 mobo - P4 2.8 800 MHZ 512K - 512 PC400 DDR - RADEON 9200SE VCARD - TV TUNER - WINDOWS XP

I get memory dumps all the time and set it so it restarts automatic to speed things up. I have changed ram and everything else suggested here but to no avail. I might run for two days straight and then I am working with windows files and boom, restart. I have also noticed that it does it more often when I open an IE6 site. Reinstalled IE6 - same result.

My last dump had this ID:

0x0000008E (0XC0000005,0X804F7A70,0XBAFA7C98,0X00000000

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Here's my personal experience building boxes over the years. This is almost always an issue of flaky/bad/incompatible memory. I'd say about 98% of the time I'd find this to be a problem with the install of Windows, especially 2K/XP as they slam the hardware during installation, which in my opinion is a good thing as it's a kind of verification of the system hardware wink

You'll find that many/most of the BIOS updates from the mobo manufacturers are indeed corrections/fixes in the timing of the BIOS code for more and more memory modules/manufacturers, at least this is what Aopen America has told me laugh

If you have the latest BIOS rev installed for that model Asus board then you have to look at a possible bad memory module, I find this is especially true of the more generic non-name brand modules out there. This is not to say they wouldn't work but sometimes there are problems getting them to work in some makes/models of mobo's wink

@APK, I've even seen Aopen's own memory, formally known as Apacer and now called AM1, not even function in one or two of their own mobo's frown Now this is strange however upon looking at the BIOS rev of said mobo and finding it's the original release I updated the BIOS and low and behold that same memory worked now, hmmmmmm smile

WOW, You guys rock, so many replies in such a short time.

I have the latest BIOS update installed, tried that as last resort a week ago; same problem remains.

I will try APK's suggestion and do the memory deinstall-reinstall.

I will let you folks know what happens.

Thanks again for your help.

Remko.

smile

If there are memory settings in the motherboard bios, check to see if they are using SPD or some other configuration. Use SPD first, if that doesn't work then try setting higher values for the memory config. I usually do this with Memtest to get the best configuration for my memory.

frown

Hey there,

Well, we did fine for 2 days but once again the blue screen

and memory dump attacked my friendly personal companion.

I am about to give up, cause at this time I can not afford another 100 bucks for a new ram stick.

Is there another memmory test program besides memtest? I could not find a Windows version, just Linux. Also I will try Dosfreak's suggestion.

Till later.