Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wheels4

lost dll files / XP

Hi there, I am a bit of a newby, have patience please. I recently uninstalled some programmes on XP. I used the install/uninstall tool. Now when i go to sites that open a window for say logging in purposes nothing happens. Just an empty window. Same with happens with links. I have been told that the dll file has gone a missing. Anyone tell me how to overcome this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

wheels

Hi,

AlecStar has given you some great tips there, after doing the service pack upgrade to IE I would expect this to fix it.

If it doesn't I'd suggest the following. Get your Windows XP cd in the CDROM drive and go to a command prompt by either finding it in XP's maze of programs or clicking Start and going to RUN

Within this box type cmd

You will now get a black box where you can type the following command.

This command will restore files back to their defaults and replace missing files. Please be aware that I have not had a problem with this method but if you have third party software it may need reinstalling if this XP recovery procedure overwrites a more up to date dll, you may want to run Windows Update again after doing this. As always, I accept no liability for any unforseen damage this may do to your operating system or third party software.

As I say, I have never had a problem running this and it has saved me on a number of occasions.

Within the DOS box type sfc /SCANNOW

Your missing files will be restored, this will take a good while so be patient.

Let us all know how you get on

Cheers

Tricky_Luck