Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

Can I eliminate the keyboard beep with USB keyboard?

Figure the gamers might be more familiar with this, so I didn't post in hardware.

Sometimes when playing a FPS game, Let's say I'll be holding down walk backward, walk left, crouch, and run/fast move all at once and I get the horendously loud BEEP through the headphones.

So I was wondering, would a USB keyboard eliminate this? If not, would it reduce it?

Also, sometimes certain combinations of simultaneous keypresses don't register all keys as being pressed. Would a USB keyboard reduce or eliminate this as well?

Or, is there a way to get rid of the beep all together? It seems to be a constant volume despite whatever the volume levels are set at on the computer, so I'm not sure if it can be silenced as it appears this form of warning beep is forcefed through perhaps.

Any help would be appreciated.

There may be a way to silence this beep although to be honest I am not sure how...

The beep is caused by too many keys being pressed at one time, so not all of the keys are 'registered' as being pressed(I dare say that if you held down all four arrow keys you would get the same beep as this is sending information that conflicts and contradicts itself-cant move forward and backward at the same time etc.)

Some games may accept different combinations of keys than others so there is some variety in this.

Originally posted by ConQueso

Quote:
Let's say I'll be holding down walk backward, walk left, crouch, and run/fast move all at once

It is possible that this game doesn't allow you to crouch(probably makes you move slower) and run/move fast at the same time.

I would imagine that a USB keyboard would do the same thing but keyboards aren't really my bag, so I can't give you a definitive answer for that one.

I had the beeping too, and was able to disable it like this:

1. Right click My Computer and select Computer Management

2. Select the Device Manager

3. In the menu View select Show hidden devices

4. Expand the node Non-Plug and Play Drivers

5. Find the item Beep and right-click it and select Disable (Instead of Beep it might be called PC Speaker or Speaker)

6. Restart the computer.

I guess you have disabled Sticky-Keys, but if not then rename this registry-node:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Control Panel \Accessibility]

Ex. to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Control Panel \AccessibilityOld]

EXCELLENT, snakefoot. FPS GAMERS TAKE NOTE!

Thank you for the info. I haven't done the registry change yet. (hesitant to do registry stuff). Wouldn't it be better to change a value of one of the keys under Accessability > StickyKeys?

Regardless, though, a while ago I think I disabled stiky keys through the GUI window / non-registry route. I'll keep this thread in mind if I get the damn window popup again in mid-game, though.

Again, thanks. I should've asked about this years ago. Now the enemy AI won't take a second place in the startling department to the occaisional ultra-loud BEEP.

Yes, that will fix the problem, but keep in mind how keyboards logic is set up. Generally speaking, keys within a 3x3 square are on the same logic region, and most keyboards will only accept 2-3 keypresses simultanisly from the same logic region, ignoring other keypresses; pressing more results in the PC speaker beep.

Typically, the more expensive keyboards have better logic controls, which minimize this problem.