Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
intertim

Intel 845 (refresh rate)

Hi,

I recently installed Mandrake 10.0 and everything went well, I only have a small problem with my graphics driver, I put my resolution on 1024x768 85Hertz but the image is not stable.

(it is flickering)

Does anybody know how to fix this?

(Dell Dimension 2400 with a Intel 845 graphics adapter)

thanks,

A simle search on google points to a bug (at least in RedHat) and xfree86 and the bios call. Any way that you can post the horiz and vertical rates that the monitor is currently set at.

Is this the stock monitor that came with the Dell?

I've a Philips 109B40 monitor

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
A simle search on google points to a bug (at least in RedHat) and xfree86 and the bios call. Any way that you can post the horiz and vertical rates that the monitor is currently set at.

Is this the stock monitor that came with the Dell?

might be the monitor can't quite manage that high a refresh rate.

can you reset the upper bound of the refresh range for your monitor in the

X Windows config file to 80 or 75 Hz ?

I think that martouf hit it. I have never seen such confusion with specs. before. I did a google search. The Philips site does not even list this monitor. However, I found the specs. pdf file which interestingly enough, does not give the refresh rates. Other spec. pages are conflicting.

However, it is listed as recommended at 1280 X 1024 at 85 refresh rate. Another lists it as 60 mhz max.

Look to see if the XF86Config-4 is set at the following;

Horizontal rate = 30-97

Vertical rate = 50-160

And try lowering the refresh rate, as martouf suggested, so you have 1024 X 768 @ 75 or 70.

Hi intertim and welcome! smile

The problem you're having is not unusual. We in the Linux community have to deal with the fact that most hardware manufacturers don't give a flying rip if their hardware works with another OS or not.

Since 95% of computer users use Windows, they make their hardware work for Windows and that's it. If you have hardware that works with Linux, it's because somewhere, someone (or some folks) took the time to find a way to make that hardware work with Linux, and, to top it all off, they usually don't even get paid for it.

So if you have hardware that is hard to configure with Linux, its really the manufacturers unwillingness to make modules for us, and that is one of the sacrifices we make in order to run a superior operating system. The good news is, hardware manufacturers are paying a lot more attention to us than they used to, and I believe the situation will continue to improve with time.

I hope this helps ease your frustration. We've all felt it too at some point. You'll get it sorted out though... smile