Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rayorr

Norton Internet Security 2005 won't install on Win 98

My brother has just purchased NIS 2005 via onine download from Symantec and we are having excessive problems getting it installed. The install currently stops with a message that "... cannot find the file "instopts.dat". Installer will quit now." Yet, when I do a search I indeed find the file in the Windows\temp directory.

So far, the summary of our efforts is as follows:

Performed a virus removal with another computer connected.

Removed all adware, spy catchers, virus protectors, etc. via the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature.

Performed all "before you install" sequences per Symantec instructions.

Removed the file via windows Add/Remove Programs function.

Reinstalled. Repeated above multiple times, each time getting to a different stopping point!

Removed all traces of the software (we think) from directories, temp files, and registry - by manually removing each registry entry containing Norton or Symantec (that's a bunch)!

Re-downloaded install file and re-installed.

Most recently I downloaded the file "nav200598_reg_removal.reg" from the Symantec site (thanks to a thread I read here). I ran this thinking it would clean the registry. I also went through the procedures provided by Symantec to removal of NIS from Win 98, followed by the procedure "Reinstalling your Symantec program after a failed installation..."

Currently, we are able to consistently get the same error message and stopping point. Nothing seems to get us past this point.

Can anyone recommend what can be done next? Have I removed a registry entry in error?

I am ready to demand a refund and buy McAfee, but will give Norton one last chance!

Thanks.

I seem to be setting off down the same road as you but just a day behind - also trying to get 2005 version up on win 98 SE. My install seems to complete and the following LIve Update runs, but after that I cannot get the NIS to actually run - constant Windows dialogue box informing me that the program has performed an illegal operation (internet access also completely inoperative). I have tracked down a number of knowledgebase articles on Semantec site that may be of relevance to both of us - mainly concerned with conflicting other software (spyware detectors in particular)so it is worth digging around there. Looks like it;s going to be a tricky one to solve, but at least Semantec have a 60 day returns/refund policy to keep in mind (mark you rdiary now !!). I'll post any helpful (perhaps even successful !) actions I take which may help. I'm also tempted (though not wanting to throw good money after bad) to get a copy of Norton Go-Back which is a disk sector level change monitor/log - you can snapshot your machine and recover back to specific points (i.e. before you start installing NIS 2005 again !)

i have also tried to install norton 2005 on win 98.

it installed properly. but whenver i run the livupdate, it will update the other things except the virus definitions file.

after that my norton 2005 becomes disabled.

if i turn it on , it will show me error that please run liveupdate again, ur virus definition file is not correct.

i have even tried to run intelligent updater from symantec site.

but no use.

please help me to solve the issue