Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Question regarding Raid 0

Hey all,

I just purchased a new DFI mobo with an Intel 3.2E to replace my old PII 400 system. This new board (LanParty Pro 875B) comes with a bunch of extras. The one thing I see it has which I have never used is Raid 0. What are the pros and cons of riad 0? Is it worth giving a shot? I know that it uses two drives as one, and from what I hear increases read/write time. Are there other things I should take into consideration?

Going from 400mhz to 3200mhz will be nice all by itself! Getting it tomorrow! bye bye pc133 ram and hello ddr400!

laughlaughlaugh

- Lotus

Well, from what I have read in various forums, I think I'll stay away from raid 0 for now. I'll give SATA a try instead. The diff between my old system and this new one will be light and day as it is.

- Lotus

Well I personally have used RAID 0 for quite some time, mainly on my gaming rig as I don't really care if something gets fubar'd on that machine wink

It is much faster then standard/single drive booting. I'm currently using a RAID 0 array with a pair of Seagate SATA drives.

Quote:
jmmijo,
Well I personally have used RAID 0 for quite some time

In the time you have been using it, has anything gone wrong?

Originally posted by Lotus:

Quote:

In the time you have been using it, has anything gone wrong?

No, not yet, but like I mentioned in my previous post, I only use it on my gaming rig which at the most will have some current game save data is all wink

If you want to have data integrity/security in mind, then you want RAID 1(mirroring) at the very least, but RAID 5(striping/mirroring/parity) is the best option, but also the most expensive wink

The biggest advantage of RAID 0 (Striping) is speed, its faster writing across two disks. The biggest disadvantage is that its not fault tolerant. If either disk fails, then you have lost the lot. RAID 0 is NOT recommended for boot or system disks.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll stick with SATA. Again, thanks for the replies!

- Lotus

LOL I always think of that commercial years ago on TV for RAID bug spray where the bug screams "RAID!!"

Anyway... wink