Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
atcskyfox

OS Installation Error

I have upgraded my computer's bios with a new bios chip that has the latest ASUS bios on it. The computer POSTs ok and boots off cd-roms ok. However, when I attempt to install either Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro the installation hangs at "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."

When I install Linux specifically "Mepis 2004 Final" I get the following error however I am able to continue with the installation through to the desktop (what a testament to Linux OS):

PnP BIOS: Resource Structure does not contain an end tag.

PnP BIOS: build_devlist: Node number 0x0 is out of sequence following node 0x0. Aborting.

System Specs:

ASUS P2B98-XV motherboard

PII-350 (103x3.5)

224mb PC100

WD1200JB

3Com 3C905 Lan card

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you in advanced for your time.

evening atcskyfox

That sounds as if you're dealing with a rather old mobo there. From what I recall "PnP" in those days was more some sort of "gambling" than it actually was a reliable motherboard feature that helped during OS installation.

If the BIOS version you flashed doesn't contain a cruical bug-fix you defnitely need to get the mobo running, then I'd recommend you'd just go back to previous BIOS version and try to make one of the OS' install on top of those.

But before you do that you might want to flash the BIOS again. It's generally a good idea with those old EEPROM-chips to repeat the flashing 3 to 5 times (also make sure the respective FLASH-jumpers on the mobo are set properly while you are flashing; don't forget to reset those jumpers _after_ the flashing).

keep us informed

Is this a bios chip that you bought, or did you flash the existing bios? If you bought a chip, where did you get it from?

If you bought the chip, was it for the specific motherboard that you have?

I flashed my old bios chip from the HP bios to Asus bios which gave me the checksum error. I then purchased a new bios chip from Ice Flashing, Inc. http://mysite.verizon.net/dj_mix/

Very quick service. Highly recommend (if all this works) smile

Yes the new bios chip has an award bios with the latest Asus bios on it from Asus's website.

Ahh...this is an HP system? Although you may have an Asus motherboard, HP Asus motherboards are legacy boards, which generally mean that you need to flash it with an HP updated bios. In some cases flashing with just an Asus bios works, in other cases no.

On some HP systems, the bios also uses a small partition on the hard drive (hidden) to store bios data. So, all the bios information is not necessarily on the bios chip itself.

Contact the bios flash company and ask about this and get some assistance. It's likely that the new bios does not like the legacy board, as it is not a true Asus retail motherboard.

If I am off base about this and you installed a retail Asus motherboard in the system, let us know.

You are right danleff. The motherboard did come out of an HP however based on some google group threads people have had success with ordering new bios chips with the asus bios on it to work in this motherboard. But, if it does not work out then I will send the chip back for an HP bios reflash. I was able to run Meips since it bypassed the error. Windows just hangs at the hardware detection screen. I hope to install Feroda Core 3 beta after I download it to a dvd this week. An anandtech member sent me a PIII 500 with 3x128mb ram for free. I hope to install those this week and will report back.