Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike2

Quake 2 save game loading trouble

When I load a save game file on Quake 2, I get this really annoying error:

ERROR: GAMEERROR: READLEVEL: The function pointers have moved.

Specs

Celeron class 2.40 GHZ

256 MB RAM

Windows XP Service Pack 2

DirectX 9.0c

Quake 2 version 3.20

The previous operating system I ran this game on is Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4.

The save games loaded fine on Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4.

I tried Q2ace, The save games still did not load properly.

I reinstalled the game about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000...................... times and the save games files still did not load sucessfully.

Is there any solution to this problem?

This is a very common problem with Quake 2 running under Windows XP, even setting the compatibility tab for Quake 2 to Windows 2000 will not work. The problem also affects the mission packs, Ground Zero and The Reckoning.

I got it to work by using a source port called Quake 2 Evolved.

You can get it here:

http://www.planetquake.com/blur/

Its a really good front end source port for Quake 2 and gives the game many new modern features. Give it a shot. I think you will like it, if you have slow downs turn off some of the advanced cell shading features. I am not sure what kind of graphics card you have.

If this doesn't work, try searching the Planetquake.com forums, and search for "function pointers have moved" there a few posts there along with some fixes done by this one individual where esentially the Quake 2 gamex86.dll is repatched. To get technical, this save game error comes up because Windows XP apparently allocates a different address for the DLL each time the game runs while Windows 2000 doesn't. I am not sure exactly since its been a few years since I last looked at the problem, but with Quake 2 Evolved I don't get the problem.

Good luck.

WHAT THE HELL?!

I CAN'T DOWNLAOD THE FILE BECAUSE THE STUPID WEBPAGE SAYS ("YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THIS PAGE".) WHAT THE HELL, WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there any way to download the file?

WHAT THE HELL?!

I CAN'T DOWNLAOD THE FILE BECAUSE THE STUPID WEBPAGE SAYS ("YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THIS PAGE.) WHAT THE HELL, WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there any way to download the file?

Never mind, the file got downloaded sucessfully. How do I use Quake 2 evolved?

Unzip it into Quake2 folder, and run Q2e.exe. Make you have downloaded the OpenAL audio files as well. Its on the same page.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU so much for the Quake 2 evolved download page! It is just a pleasure that the game works exellently! This software is alot better than I expected. You can actually change the Gamma, unlike original Quake 2 you can't change the Gamma. Thank you!

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:
pmistry, what do you think of quake2max vs q2e? Just curious smile

I like Quake 2 Evolved because it just seems like a more enthusiasic project, and it runs more stable on my system. Actually with Quake 2 Max I had the odd savegame loading problem along with graphic glitches with the cell shading option turned on. I haven't tried Quake 2 Max for awhile now, so I may check it out again, but for now, I prefer Evolved.

OH MY GOD!

Looks like I got a car accident.

While I was playing Quake 2 Evolved, I got a crash saying

"Windows had to shutdown to prevent damage to your system." And there is alot more detail in this report.

Specs

256 MB RAM

DirectX 9.0

Realtek AC97 audio sound card (Integrated)

GeForce FX 5700 256 MB DDR AGP 8x/4x

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Is there any solution to this crash?

I am not sure, never had a crash with Evolved myself. Can you still run the game or does that happen all the time?

To really get help since I don't know much of the technical aspects of the source port, go here:

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/%7Eblur/forums/

It is the forum created by the developers, there is a bug/tech support area as well.

You might want to give Quake 2 Max a try as well. Maybe you will get better luck with it,

http://www.planetquake.com/quake2max/

pmistry,

Somewhat off subject question. I seem to have a problem with Q2 under XP in combination with ATI 9600XT. Running Catalyst 4.10 driver, although older versions had same problem. When playing the keyboard/mouse input seems to randomly get cached. I have to stop trying to move and wait for it to catch up, sometimes 10 seconds. Makes me an easy target in the game. If I take the ATI out and put my FX5600 in no problem. Any suggestions?