Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

XP Pro firewall......is it worth using?

Just bought a new P4 SOHO PC as a replacement for a P3-400 in a 2-PC LAN. Since I have to reload all my apps anyway, decided it was a good time to jump into WinXP-Pro to see what it's all about. The other PC on the LAN will remain a Win2K machine until we're comfortable with XP.....if that day ever comes.

While we'll likely develope the same love-hate relationship with XP as we've had with W2K, our question at the moment is whether the firewall included with XP-Pro is worth using? We've been running ZA-3 with no problems....other than the constant "upgrade notices".

The firewall under XP SP2 is better than it was originally, however, AFAIK it only analyses and blocks inbound packets.

For some strange reason, the XP firewall doesn't analyse and block outbound packets - so you could be infected with a trojan, keylogger etc. and XP wouldn't even notice - not good.

In my (ever so 'umble) opinion, I think you're probably better off staying with ZA, if only because it looks at inbound and outbound packets/ports.

Rgds

AndyF

The Firewall in XP Pro is good only if you don't have a better one. Especially with the SP2 version, until it is configured properly, I've seen it break networks. If you like the Firewall you are using and are familiar with its procedures, don't run XP's.

use what your used to

the firewall in xp is fully programable in both directions, it's a giant pain to configure and it's a pain to turn off and on.

there isnt an advantage between firewalls. my xp firewalls are all off and i use the router

apk... it's not a smart firewall or application sensitive.

it doesnt have a gooey interface. it reminds me of the firebax we have at work. every little tiny thing still needs to be set.

thats why i use my routers firewall

I've read articles where people have had problems getting XP SP2 & ZA to coexist and play nicely.

Rgds

AndyF

I used to be a long time user of ZA at home, but have switched to Sygate Personal Firewall now, and think it's significantly better (at least as far as logging, reporting, and advanced rulesets).