Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pride

CRITICAL BUG with GF6800LE and 6800-series (games crashing all the time)

Ok, I gotta try this forum as well.

So Im not alone with my problem, this is something quite common. (try 6800 problems with Google)

I've Gainward 6800LE 128MB and I've this massive crashing problem.

Anything with 3D-graphics crash after 0 to 15 minutes. This far I've found only one game - Arx Fatalis - that won't crash, but there's even some textures missing.

I've tried the following drivers with 4.53 4in1 Hyperions, but the problem stays.

Drivers with the 6800LE setup CD

Latest official drivers 61.67?

Latest beta drivers I could find myself - 66.70.

Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War is what I've tested those drivers with...

3DMark03 runs fine 90% of time. Some times mid CPU Test (test #2 specially) it hangs for like 5-10 seconds and then skips those seconds forward...

3DMark05 gives corruption

CS: Source crashes after 5-30 minutes. Gives also corruption if I set 4x AA from game options. If I use forced 4x AA and 8x AF no visual glitches. Corruption

Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War crashes after 0-2 minutes.

Richard Burns Rally crashes after 0-30 seconds.

Panzers: Phase 1 crashes after 0-5 minutes.

And oh, I've changed motherboard twice, memories twice, processor once, power unit one, bought an UPS, changed all my hard drives, tried without sound card + CD/DVD-drive - these didn't help.

Formatted something like 6 to 7 times. Tried Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional with SP1 and SP2.

I've no viral software of anykind on my computer either...

Could someone help me out?

So have you tried using an Intel or SiS based chipset motherboard yet ?!?

Obviously using an Intel based board negates using an AMD cpu, however, SiS does indeed make AMD cpu chipsets too. This is just to rule out some weird compatibility with VIA chipsets and/or motherboards.

Please advise....

Via blows. This is why I switched to an Intel D875PBZ mobo in my main pc. It's ancient sidekick, an Abit BP6, is a model of stability, too.

Originally posted by defector:

Quote:
Via blows. This is why I switched to an Intel D875PBZ mobo in my main pc. It's ancient sidekick, an Abit BP6, is a model of stability, too.

Well this is really not a proper answer in that you're just saying, in your opinion, that *any* mianboard with a VIA chipset is junk. Hmm, I've used many brands of motherboards over the years and it depends more on the design of said mainboard from a quality manufacturer like Asus, Aopen and yes, now even Intel, then on the chipset. I've owned and used many boards based on VIA chipsets and they've all been fine wink I also have owned chipset boards from basically every vendor on the planet, Intel, SiS, ALi, nVidia, ATi, you name it I've either worked with it and/or owned it...

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Finally. Though everything has been changed in my system - hardware I mean - the memory (2x 512MB Twinmos PC3200 CL2.5-modules with M-Tec memory chips) wasn't compatible with my motherboard.

Memtest86 (v3.1a and v1.2+) didnt find any errors on normal test run, but when I picked ALL tests instead of default tests, it found multiple errors on test #10.

After this I picked test #10 manually and it drops an error each 90 seconds or so. Changing my memory modules (going to check the memory chips) to ones that are surely supported by my motherboard...

VIA is like trillion times better than nForce2 for instance...

You can't imagine the amount of memory errors and compability problems with nForce2...

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
Originally posted by defector:
Quote:

Well this is really not a proper answer in that you're just saying, in your opinion, that *any* mianboard with a VIA chipset is junk. Hmm, I've used many brands of motherboards over the years and it depends more on the design of said mainboard from a quality manufacturer like Asus, Aopen and yes, now even Intel, then on the chipset. I've owned and used many boards based on VIA chipsets and they've all been fine wink I also have owned chipset boards from basically every vendor on the planet, Intel, SiS, ALi, nVidia, ATi, you name it I've either worked with it and/or owned it...

You're right. I shouldn't have even posted that. Sorry.

The funny thing is, now I see that his/her problem was fixed by going with different memory. I was going to suggest that, but I read that the memory was changed twice and assumed that actually meant different memory instead of just different modules of the same brand and type. Guess I shouldn't post when I'm tired and being nagged.

Originally posted by Pride:

Quote:
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Finally. Though everything has been changed in my system - hardware I mean - the memory (2x 512MB Twinmos PC3200 CL2.5-modules with M-Tec memory chips) wasn't compatible with my motherboard.

Memtest86 (v3.1a and v1.2+) didnt find any errors on normal test run, but when I picked ALL tests instead of default tests, it found multiple errors on test #10.

After this I picked test #10 manually and it drops an error each 90 seconds or so. Changing my memory modules (going to check the memory chips) to ones that are surely supported by my motherboard...

VIA is like trillion times better than nForce2 for instance...

You can't imagine the amount of memory errors and compability problems with nForce2...

This is great, glad you resolved the problem wink

@Defector, I wasn't trying to be nasty or anything with my reply, I think you see that wink

The idea here on this forum, it to provide some alternatives to issues some others are having with a given situation....