Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

How to update Win2k's 'repair' folder?

When you use the repair option from the Win2k installation CD the installer restores your settings from the 'c:\winnt\repair' folder.

Trouble is that this will restore your registry and security policy settings to installation defaults (envisage days of you setting up all of your software and tweaks again...)

Shouldn't it be possible to replace the files in that folder with your current ones?

The contents of my repair folder are thus:

<RegBack> (a folder containing):

NTUSER.DAT

UsrClass.dat

SAM

SECURITY

software

system

(the remaining files are in the root of the 'repair' folder)

ntuser.dat

sam

security

software

system

autoexec.nt

config.nt

secsetup.inf

I recognise the .nt files and could replace those easily enough. The 'secsetup.inf' file is the default security policy. Now when I take a look at my local security settings (through admin tools) the option to export my current policy is greyed out... suggestions anyone?

The remaining files are the components of the registry, but which ones refer the the files in 'system32\config' and which to my user profiles, also what is the difference between those files stored in 'repair\Regback' and those in the root of 'repair'?

I have also lost my emergency repair disk. What files need to go on this please should I ever need it's services?

Many thanks for any help you lot may be able to offer me. smile

Whenever you create your repair disk through the NTbackup program, it will update the repair information in the winnt\repair\regback folder.

Thanks Zen, I was an XP user for a year or so before switching back to 2k, so I forgot about ntbackup.exe's ERD feature (even though I use ntbackup each week to backup my c:\ drive to my server :D)

However when try and make an ERD I get the following error:

The operation failed.

The disk file was not found or was inaccessible.

I know it isn't a defective floppy so I seem to have hit a dead end with this one (unless someone can suggest I solution)?

APK, you are as ever a goldmine of information. It looks like I shall have to do registry backups manually. Trying out some kind of script or .bat commands seem a good idea, trial and error will find the best solution. I used to use the recovery console to back up registry files before any 'tricky' operation (and on more than one occasion such methods saved my system!)

Quote:
also what is the difference between those files stored in 'repair\Regback' and those in the root of 'repair'?

The files in the repair directory is basically a copy of your registry on a fresh installation, these do not get updated to my knowledge. The files in the repair\regback directory are the files that are updated when you try to make an ERD.

Quote:
However when try and make an ERD I get the following error:

The operation failed.

The disk file was not found or was inaccessible.

I know it isn't a defective floppy so I seem to have hit a dead end with this one (unless someone can suggest I solution)?

The floppy might not be generated, in fact I can't remember the last time I actually created a floppy when I ran the command for the ERD. The current registry is still backed up and you can verify it by checking the timestamps on the files in the winnt\repair\regback folder.

Additionally, if you have the rdisk.exe file from an NT4 install, you can just copy that over and run with it as it works on Win2k as well.

You don't have to make and ERD with Ntbackup to get a registry-backup in the repair-folder. One can also "just" create a system state backup (place the bkf on a local drive) and the same thing will happen.

Though if you are only interested in the registry files, then you should take a look at the freeware tool EruNT