Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cuzzinkc

Wired/Wireless LAN with Dialup Connection

I'm trying to set up a LAN for a friend so her two daughters can both access the internet over a dialup connection. I have the network set up, but the computers can't see each other. Here's the setup: 2 PC's running Win2K Pro. The one with the modem is wired to a TrendNet 5-port switch, which is then connected via a crossover cable to an SMC wireless access point. Internet Connection Sharing is enabled on this machine. The other PC has a US Robotics wireless NIC. Both the access point and the wireless NIC are set to the same SSID and 64-bit WEP encryption, and the wireless shows it's connected at 54.00 mpbs. The wired PC (connection sharing)has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and the access point has an IP address of 192.168.0.253. So far, so good.

The wired PC can see (ping, etc.) the access point just fine, but it can't see the other computer. The wireless computer says it's connected to the access point (the little icon is green and shows a connection) but it doesn't recieve an IP address from the DHCP server in the internet connection sharing on the other computer. I've tried using static IP addresses on both computers, but that doesn't help.

What am I missing here? BTW, I've also tried connecting the access point directly to the wired PC and bypassing the switch, but that didn't help, either. I'm also not sure whether the default gateway on the wireless machine should be 192.168.0.1 (the computer with the internet connection) or 192.168.0.253 (the access point.) Common sense tells me to use 192.168.0.1, since the access point really only is connecting the two networks together.

I'd really appreciate some help before I go totally bonkers over this! Thanks.

http://www.wown.com/

I would check to see what mode the access point is running on (Bridge or router mode). What model is it?

Secondly, why are you using a cross over cable to connect the switch to the access point? Cross-over cables are meant for PC to PC or switch to switch.

Any chance the access point does DHCP? If so make it hand out leases, with itself as the gateway. The 2nd nic on the machine should not a gateway assigned to it.

Since static IPs dont rectify the problem, its a routing issue. I would check the cable and check the settings on the access point .... provided your ICS is setup correctly on the PC.

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that it's a routing issue--just don't quite know what to do about it.

I'm using a crossover cable because a straight through cable doesn't work to connect the access point and the little switch. No link lights or anything. The access point is an SMC Model 2755 "EZ Connect." I haven't found a setting for Bridge/Router mode, but I'll certainly look again. I'm thinking maybe it's just bridge mode, since it doesn't connect directly to the phone line. It only has an RJ45 to connect it to the LAN.

Yes, the access point does DHCP; however, I was under the impression that Windows 2000 ICS requires that the DHCP is furnished by the machine sharing its internet connection. There's not much to set up with ICS - just point it to the modem and the NIC - and I'm not sure I can turn off its DHCP. Can I really use the DHCP on the access point and make it the gateway? (Remember, the modem is internal in one of the PC's. Doesn't it have to be the gateway?)