Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrquixotic

Connection and bootup problems

Hi, i've encountered a problem that has been bothering me even after a format of the computer, please advice...

I'm using win 98 SE and am on cable connection.

Firstly, my computer makes 2 .tmp files of 0 bytes in my computer windows folder, with names such as xxxxxxxx_{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}.tmp. it could cause errors or cause slow performance, and i have to manually remove it each time i boot up.

Secondly, i have realised that my 127.0.0.1 dns using mirc (/dns 127.0.0.1) no longer returns "localhost", but returns coolwwwsearch.com , and im positive its the work of a spyware although i have no idea how to solve it.

Thirdly, my computer connection "drops" so very often, sometimes 10 mins after some normal usage, sometimes hours, and a reboot seems to be the onli solution. the ip still is there when i run my winipcfg, and a renew or release will renew my "usb cable modem" and not the other 2 "PPP adpater" . But still i cant access the internet using applications, and if i try to ping hosts, it tells me that it's an unknown host.

Despite formatting of my computer, these problems still persist.

Please advice...

Aw, someone help me? i reali would not want to get a new computer yet for the next few months nor would a format help...

i've been giving much help to the best of my knowledge, hope it helps the others though...

It does sound like you have some spyware problems. The usual solutions are Download, install and run Ad-Aware, BHODemon, and Spybot Search and Destroy. These will all be found at www.majorgeeks.com . I would also suggest that you install SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard. If you don't mind paying a subscription, install PestPatrol.

Since you are on a cable modem, you should also install a Firewall. There is a free version of Sygate at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3356.html

Install and run all of these things. Several on this board have run into difficulties similar to your own and their solutions are somewhat complicated. Lets hope that you can rid yourself of this pest. By the way, I would use either Opera or one of the Mozilla browsers in the future.

Erm, im afraid my would be a complicated one then... i've tried the spywares u recommended but still it wouldnt work, and im using mozilla now... if this goes on i think i would have to get a new computer then, which would reali be a strain for me as im on a super tight budget now frown i'll keep trying though, hopefully i can salvage it for a while more... thanks for your time :P

Hi, here's what i found...

1)I found the host file in "C:\windows" , after i changed it coolwwwsearch.com no longer is the result of my dns.

2) what's dns client ? pardon me but i reali am not good in tcp/ip area, and im on cable modem connected via a USB hub...

3) would it be possible to initate a connection manually instead, when my connection drops? i've tried winipcfg and ipconfig but at best, they onli work the 1st time i try it, meaning a 2nd drop and i'll have to reboot. can i use the "manual" u mentioned to do so ?

4) i suspect that the .tmp files might be caused by a malfunctioning windows process...

5) what does APK mean???