Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
damienb2003

Whats your kernel?

This may seem a silly question but how do i find out what Kernel shell i have?

I am trying to setup the net and Mandrake 10.0 found the modem, i grabbed a linux driver from Conexant (manufacturer). I ran a config BEFORE i put the linux driver on (hey im testing the waters) and it came up with "Warning: Sorry we only use 2.4 and above Kernels"

I figured that was fine and installed the driver. The diagnostic was updated and matched the modem perfectly. Went to setup the internet connection and the same warning came up when it got to the modem stage.

I wouldve thought that Mandrake 10.0 being a fairly new release thatd itd have a higher kernel? Or is this something i can freely update?

Damien

Mandrake 10 uses the 2.6 kernel with the 2.4 kernel optional. It sounds as if the Linuxant "driver" is somehow misdiagnosing what kernel you're using. Beyond that, I'm afraid I wouldn't know. Sorry.

Could you give us the name of the driver that you downloaded or a link to the download page?

Did you perhaps follow the link on the Conexant page to the Linuxant driver page and download one of their drivers?

These drivers require that the full kernel source be installed. This may also be the issue, as the driver will look for the symbolic link to the kernel source. If it is not there, then the drivers will give you that message.

Typing uname -a at the command line will tell you your kernel. To see if you have the kernel source got to /usr/src/ there should be a symlink in there called linux pointing to the kernel source. I think you can get the source from the MDK CDs just install teh RPM it should set it up for you. If not you may need to link the kernel source to /usr/src/linux.

should look something like this.

Quote:
[09/26/04][greg@otis:/usr/src]$ uname -a

Linux otis 2.6.8.egorgry #1 Sun Sep 5 15:03:24 EDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

[09/26/04][greg@otis:/usr/src]$ ll

total 8

drwxr-sr-x 18 greg src 4096 Sep 10 16:34 kernel-source-2.6.8

lrwxr-xr-x 1 greg src 20 Sep 5 13:49 linux -> kernel-source-2.6.8/

drwxr-sr-x 4 greg src 4096 Aug 5 17:09 modules

From the instructions on that page;

Quote:
Please choose only the package matching exactly your system's kernel version below.

You can determine your kernel version with the following case-sensitive shell command:

uname -r

So, you need to use the uname -r command to see what kernel version that you have. Then choose the cooresponding package that matches the kernel.

Let us know if this turns out to be the issue.

I use the linuxant driver for my D-Link wireless on Lindows with my laptop. Works like a charm! Of course, I paid for the drivers (or the development). Saved me a lot of headaches!