Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
latino85

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY RAM IS WORKING?????

I just inserted a new 256MB stick of ram into my mother board while the computer was off, and i have a feeling that my cpu did not recognize it??? Now ive done this before and at the time found it to be one of the EASIEST upgrades you could DO YOURSELF, but now im questioning that??? could anybody help??? is there a special check i could run or do????

If you have a "My Computer" icon, right click on it and select properties. When the badge comes up, it will tell you how much Ram your motherboard is recognizing.

If you don't have a "My Computer" icon, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel and double click on the System icon. This brings up the same System Properties program on which you will be told how much Ram the motherboard is recognizing.

Does the POST screen show the right amount of RAM?

You may need to go into the BIOS to get the system to recognise the new RAM.

Rgds

AndyF

Originally posted by ScinteX:

Quote:
You could get one or two of these babies wink

corsair.gif

That's too funny! I heard they had something like this out, just hadn't seen it yet. =)

LOL! The first thing I thought of when I saw that was someone saying, "My RAM lights stopped blinking!"

Ok, ok... Almost time to go home smile

get your 256 ram and put it in the comp on its own and then turn the comp on. if it doesnt come on then the ram is probably screwed then put another stick in and if it still doesnt turn on the your motherboard or CPU it screwed. you can also buy info LED's which tell you if there is a problem with any thing in your computer. if you computer comes on and loads up then go start->run and type in dxdiag and it will tell you what your computer has.

Not all systems are created equal. What kind of memory is this? PC 66, 100, 133? Is this DDR? What about your mother board? Are you sure you bought the correct kind of memory?