Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dex_86

Resident Evil 2: Platinum...still more problems

I recently switched operating systems from 98 to XP. When I played Resident Evil 2 I found out that XP prohibited the disk from reading any save files. A link brought me here and I changed the compatibility to Windows 95...nothing. Still not reading the save files. I changed the compatibility to everything I could, 98/ Me, NT, 2000...nothing. Every save file says Leon/00/Waiting Room when you go to load it and of course it fails. I would like to play this game again but I don't think I should switch back to the old operating system just to do it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Possible. Capcom was actually very cooperative and suggested many ways to make it work. None succeeded but I'm surprised they went through the trouble.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem, it worked fine until xp sp2 was installed and then didnt recognise save files anymore..again!!

However after days of fiddling I have found if you change the save folder to c:\resident evil 2 it works fine and recognises save files again.

Hope this helps

I would also change the compatibility of the CLAIREP and LEONP exe files on the cd-roms in the REGIST diretory as well as the shortcut.

I've had the same problem. I changed the compatibility to windows 95, but when I tried to move the save game folder to C:/Resident Evil 2, the game just would just keep looking in the original folder C:/Program files/Capcom/Resident Evil 2 and obviously find nothing. On the startup menu I hit the button that said SAVE GAME FOLDER C:/Program files/Capcom/Resident Evil 2 but all it said was "Unable to find file. Please reboot and try again" I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but when I tried to change the folder the save files were installed to during setup, I got the same message. It seems to be impossible to change the save game folder location! Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help me?

Same here I get the "Unable to find file. Please reboot and try again" message when I try to switch it, and during installation it just freezes when I select Browse.

I've put them all on 95 compatibility and no luck.

i have fixed it with the following means:

+ full install

+ made a link with the exe on the cd in the regist directory and with win98 compatible mode

+ most important thing: the standard file saving directory is C:\Programms\Resident Evil 2 (or so) moving it to C:\Resident Evil 2 fixed it at my pc...

maybe re2 has problems to load and save games in sub-directories..

hope this helps

Okay....I am driving myself crazy over this...

I have:

1. Clean install of Leon CD (the works) into C:\re2\ to avoid filesystem snafu's, and made directory, subdirectories, and files accessible to "everyone" with all privileges, and made sure the archive and read-only attributes are not set.

2. Copied my old saved game files to c:\re2\

3. Changed the saved game directory to c:\re2\

4. Made a shortcut to F:\regist\LeonU.exe (F: is my DVD-ROM drive) and tried it with both win95 & 98/ME compatibility modes, and

5. Changed video settings to "Unknown card.", with "320 x 240 16BitColor FullScreen".

It's also worth noting all the fancy visual and sound features are maxed out.

Saved games not loading. File selector highlights no filenames, and at the bottom the file name is displayed as something like "Leon/00/WaitingRoom". I've never been in a waiting room in the game, I presume this to be a default reference to a new saved game.

What am I doing wrong?

STATS:

2 hard drives, one NTFS © and one FAT32 (d)

WinXP Pro SP2, with all patches, directx 9.0c

ASUS P3V4X (with latest BIOS, which was beta, but widely used, and with the final 4in1 via drivers for the via apollo pro 133a chipset)

PIII 650Mhz

256MB PC100 Ram

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

Soundblaster Live!

Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-104

SONY CD-RW CRX140E

and 2 network cards, a defunct promise Ultra66 controller, zip100 drive, floppy, Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad Pro, Epson Stylus Color 740, CanoScan N 650U, and Logitech corless mouseman optical.

All are without special drivers and systray icon, save for the ATI Radeon.

I doubt a lot of that info is pertinent, but hey, with hardware you never know. The sidewinder is the only piece of MS hardware.

Hi folks,

I had the same problem on Xp, and i simply did the following

1. right click on the .exe

2. go into properties

3. select the compatibility tab

4. and set the compatbility mode to win98/winme

and it started loading the save files, from the saved folder, and anywhere in the installation folder (i.e c:\re2\).

Well..my pc specs arent good as MSMstud's....but...it works.

I'm still having problems...I must have tweaked some user rights or security settings somewhere...

I tried installing on my second HD, with the FAT32 file system, to no avail.

Incidentally, ZeDeX, my specs are a little absurd when you compare my CPU and video card...someday I'll dig up a slot 1 PIII 1ghz and some PC133 SDRAM and even it out...funny that my next upgrade comes from used parts vendors! 8)

To correct RE2 compatibily/saving problems:

step 1: Uninstall WinXP Service Pack 2

step 2: right-click on RE2 shortcut and select 'Properties', select 'Compatibility' tab, and choose Windows 95, then press Enter.

step 3: right-click on blank space of the Desktop and select Properties, select the Settings tab and click on the Advanced button, select the 'Troubleshoot' tab and drag the arrow 2 times to the left

Press enter and close 'Display Properties'

step 4: open Windows Media Player and just leave it running.

You can now start playing RE2

Notes:

*Compatibility mode for RE2 cannot work if WinXP Service Pack 2 (or greater) is installed.

*If you ignore step 4, the game will run very slowly.

*After you finished playing the game, you should reset the arrow on step 3 to 'Full accelerations'

*Everytime you start RE2, you should verify that you have done step 3 and 4

Thanks, jorge12340_0. Looks like you went to a lot of trouble.

I gotta say, though, that my reaction to those measures is, "Oh, my fricking GOD!" I'm pretty anal about security, so I want WinXP secure as hell for my internet commerce. Maybe I should just invest in a used console.

I'm thinking I'll pursue setting up a dual-boot installation (win98 SE and XP Pro). Yes, I've RTFM, I know exactly the kind of experience I'm in for.

As I'm fond of tempting fate (or taunting it), I like to sardonically say:

Nothing can possibly go wrong! wink

P.S. I also have a copy of Win2k laying around. Can RE2 run on that? Also, would it be possible to dual-boot two XP installations, one with the service pack, and one without? So far my questions have depended on WinXP's built-in boot selector...perhaps there's a better option?

Resident Evil 2: Platinum system requirements:

Windows 95/98

Pentium 166 MHz

4X CD ROM

24 MB of RAM

2 MB DirectX 6 compatible graphics card

DirectX 6 compatible sound card

1MB free harddisk space for game data plus 100MB for swap file

Option 1: You should ask someone else about dual operating systems on 1 computer...

Option 2: Uninstall WinXP Service Pack 2

Option 3: I don't know.

Hi, I had the same problem that I couldn't load savegames, I figured out how to fix it with this thread, and I registered here to say others how to do it.

I have A new Pc, so Xp with Sp2 came standard so I think it's possible on any pc.

I have installed all files in C:\Resident Evil 2 and also located the savegames directory there, I got the msg "unable to find file" at first but I ignored it and it was just fine.

Then I set the compatibility mode on for win 98/me on 4 files, 2 on each cd: the shortcut in the main cd directory F:\Residentevil.exe (or something like that) x 2 and on F:\Register\ClaireP and on the other cd also LeonP

That's all ^-^

Edit:

To be able to save and load your games the compatibility like I said in my last post should be on, the savegame directory may be anywhere as long as it's no sub directory: C:\Save for example = Ok D:\X = Ok but C:\X\Y isn't Ok. There should only be one slash in the savegamedirectory.

You also have to have WindowsMediaPlayer running for normal speed, otherwise the game will run in exactly half speed because I finished the game in 3 hours IRL but got 1:26 ingame ^^ This might be an advatage though if the ingame time isn't correct but lower than it should be, but it's boring to play slow ^-^

I guess this should work for everyone ^-^

Resident Evil 2 Pc Problem

i have a weird problem which is just plain weird, everyone has a problem LOADING SAVED GAMES where i have a problem SAVING MY GAME.

im only allowed to save my game once and the second time i try to save my game (in a row) it boots my out of the game (when i save at the typewriter and i click Save,Overwrite & save Create new), ive tried changing the Directery to the save file, ive tryed changing the compatibility and nothng works, im running WinXP-pro with No updates (SP2...)

please i hope somebody can help me fix my problem...thanks!

May i ask all of u people in this Forums if any of u people with Resident Evil 2 is by buying it or by download if by download can anyone PLEASE frown GIVE ME THE WEBSITE PLEASE OH AND ALSO IF ANY OTHER Resident Evil games like Resident Evil 3 Nemesis to download website please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if any one wants to tell me my email address is heaven_of_life@hotmail.com PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

May i ask all of u people in this Forums if any of u people with Resident Evil 2 is by buying it or by download if by download can anyone PLEASE frown GIVE ME THE WEBSITE PLEASE OH AND ALSO IF ANY OTHER Resident Evil games like Resident Evil 3 Nemesis to download website please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if any one wants to tell me my email address is heaven_of_life@hotmail.com PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

ok I am wondering if anyone can help me where can I download the full version of resident evil 2 without using bit torrent if anyone can help I would be gratefull

I had the same problem, but my Windows XP (Mediacenter Edition) does not allow to uninstall Service Pack 2.

BUT, i put saves into root of disk c: and it WORKS NOW!!!