Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
yhcln1

Help cannot renew ip address!!

well im behind a router which is connected to a desktop, while i have a laptop with a adapter. it keeps saying cannot renew ip address when i hit the repair button. im just clueless on the situation...i did ipconfig/all ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew and it still say cannot renew ip address...... i have a 54mbps ms adapter 8g link adapter with a at&t router...i got no idea why me ipadress won't renew, i also used this program called winsockxpfix and it didn't work either. the only time it worked is when i restart the laptop and the internet will work for like 10-20mins max...then itll disconnect and ill press repair and itll say cannot renew ip. Plz help cause the time it takes me to type this, i gotta restart my laptop again. im using mci dsl btw and my desktop seems to connect fine. and i also tryed to reset both the dsl modem and router...help plz

hey, seems you might have a mac address problem...

this can be fixed by going into network connections.

right click on your connection, then click the box

"configure" which should be next to the connect using "your devices name"

then in the new window click the tab advanced, then click network address, you probably have it set to not present or FF FF FF FF FF FF?

you need to change the mac address, so seek another pc and find it by typing ipconfig in dos prompt, find it and type it exactly, but change the last digit, it might say 01, change it to 02 or somthing different.

i hope this helps as i fixed one at work that had a similair problem, only it was after windows sp2 had installed on a machine. im clueless to how it causes problems? probably cause its microsoft :)) hehehee

good luck

uh another problem, every like 5 mins i get disconnected, then like 5 mins later it reconnects to my home lan. does any1 no what is wrong? and what is a dsn?

Hi, XianDrinker.

I try to do this but in the tab advanced, I don't have network address?!

What can I do???

Pls help!

Tnk you.

i can not use ipconfig on comman prompt. when i type in ipconfig /renew or release... the prompt says that "ipconfig" is not recognized as an internal/external command. i am having the same problem with not being able to renew my ipaddress. the computer i am on now is the host and the other computer is mine from college that i am trying to connect to the internet with via the router. it first said "limited or no connectivity" and cannot renew ip. ive tried many different things without success and now i am wondering why i cannot use the ipconfig command

What operating system you got? XP? Then you should have this program. Try typing:

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\ipconfig.exe [Enter]

at the command prompt.

And if the computer is not 2000 or XP use:

1. Go to the Windows START button, then select

2. RUN and type in

3. winipcfg and press OK or hit

4. { Enter }

I am having a similar problem - in my advanced tap, there is a "local administration MAC Network address" but it only accepts a certain number of characters and i cannot figure out what it is looking for. I've tried an ip (I think) xxx.xxx.x.x but no luck. Any advice?