Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Malaris

New Desktop PC

I already have a quite recent desktop and am more than happy with it, however, it has an in built Intel 845G chipset and NO AGP slot on the motherboard.

So rather than getting a new motherboard, GFX card and probably some new RAM while i'm at it, I though I should get a PC SOLELY for gaming purposes.

I am looking for a PC for nothing but games running at high resolution and FPS and also for high speed online gaming.

Preferably it will be able to handle new games for at least a good few years at high/average settings.

All I want is high RAM, very good GFX card and a decent processor.

However I do not want to break the bank as I already have a very well functioning PC.This new one will be used for gaming purposes only.

Any suggestions for specs./price range and/or any links?

Thanks in advance

hi waffler smile

its almost a contradiction, but not quite. of course if you spend more cash then you will usually get better kit. But i am sure we can help you out.

i would suggest (at least this is the case here in the UK) that buying the individual components is not only cheaper, but you can get exactly what you want and reap the rewards that decent branded components can give you.

It also depends how posy you wanna be. For example, I decided that UV bits, UV lights,fan controllers, whizzy coolers and RAM with activity LEDs was right up my street.........however if you want to build it in a fairly reserved (and possibly cream) case then thats ok, since it will keep the price down a bit.

i consider my machine to be a very good gaming PC - so to save me a headache I will price it up for you here, but without the bling bling bits! Also where nessesary i have chosen different bits just to save on the price. The most important parts are... fast RAM, fast disks, good mobo and good video card....and a CPU (doh!)

Abit IC7-MAX3 mobo: - £120 (DFI Lanparty is more like £150-60)

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB SATA 8MB Cache - £90 all in. (I use two WD Raptors but that will cost more like £150!)

Intel Pentium 4 "Prescott" 3.0GHz (800FSB) £120

Corsair 512MB DDR XMS4000PT CAS3 £92 (if u want LEDs you're looking at £120).. DDR500 is a must laugh

Sony DDU1612 DVD-ROM £17

Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis Ultra 256MB DDR2 £195 (9800XT is a few quid more)

Coolermaster Jet 4 ICB-V83 CPU Cooler £20

Iyama Vision Master Pro 455 19" CRT DiamondTron £160 (TFT if u want?!)

Coolermaster Cavalier 3 Case £70

Antec TruePower 430W PSU £55

Razer Viper 1000dpi Gaming Mouse £35

IdeaZon Zboard with Crossfire Gaming Keyset PS2 £40

Total....£854 minus the monitor. Have I missed anything that does seem a bit too cheap!! Add on a few quid for a few leads here and there.

Now u can save a fair bit here just by shopping around, taking advantage of special offers, and not using a 2nd monitor (switch between the two PCs with your existing monitor). Also you could build it in a £20 case however I always like good cases since it shows off my hard work (and hard earned cash) more smile

Not sure if you really want to go the PCI Express route just yet. Its gonna be worth it if you want to get a £300 card else Id stay with AGP. Again, that price above could change quite a bit- the graphics card is the most expensive part and since you want a gaming PC that is liable to grow!

The mobo is picked so you can overclock easily- and the RAM supports that choice. Im running a P4 2.8 at 3.2 with no problems of excessive heat. So a slight overclock is not such a bad thing. You may want to save further by hunting out a P4 2.8 (800MHz FSB) and overclocking it a bit more.

There's two disks in there so you can set it up in RAID 0 and have nice fast read/write speeds.

Again you can save a few quid if you dont go for a gaming mouse or gaming keyboard.

i used to think buying bits and making a pc wasnt worth it. I can say now that this machine of mine is plenty fast enough- and its the quality and architecture that does it, not just the CPU speed and RAM size that these shops seem to be saying is the be all and end all.

if u r in the UK I suggest a look at this site as it only does the finest performance parts for PCs:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk

and also here for (possibly) getting the best price: http://www.ebuyer.com or maybe even here http://www.dabs.com

If you like posy stuff secretly then try looking here: http://www.thermaltake.com.. Xaser V & Tsunami Dream rock laugh

I'd aim for £1000... that would last you quite a few years indeed.