Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anon-65e40e4a71

Network browsing in XP - Crashing explorer.exe

Hi there,

Right, got a h000ge problem with our network here. 3 computers all running XP Pro + SP2 (2 of which are fresh formats). Using a Netgear DG834 for routing services with ADSL, which is working fine.

The problem is accessing files over the network. We all have shared folders (no printers), yet when you click "My Network Places" then click on the computer it will hang, then explorer.exe will do its thing and crash

All computers are on the same workgroup so thats not an issue but we all have ZoneAlarm installed, we tried disabling ZoneAlarm but it didn't seem to have much effect. Have added our IP range (Zen ADSL with 8 IP's routed) to the trusted zone in zonealarm too.

Anyone ever had this problem? Seems WinXP doesn't like sharing folders!

1. Are they all in the same Workgroup?

2. Can each of the clients ping the other?

3. Can you browse each machine by going through the UNC path from START \ RUN \ "\\Mymachine" without the quotes (or "\\192.168.1.12") ?

4. The windows firewall is disabled?

5. Simple file sharing is disabled?

6. As a side note, double check your Share AND NTFS permissions.

7. An internal LMHOSTS and/or HOSTS file may help resolve internal names.

The computer browser service is what establishes what you wish to view in My Network Places. It is an unreliable / archaic method to retrieve machine share information. It is based on timed (though sometimes sporadic) broadcast advertisements. I would recommend using static drive mappings to those shares as they are MUCH more stable.

I would also search this forum as I am sure that myself and others from APK, clutch, and Adam have covered this topic in great detail.

http://www.wown.com/ is the place for all your SOHO networking needs.

1. Are they all in the same Workgroup? Yep, MSHOME

2. Can each of the clients ping the other? Yep

3. Can you browse each machine by going through the UNC path from START \ RUN \ "\\Mymachine" without the quotes (or "\\192.168.1.12" ? Yep

4. The windows firewall is disabled? Yes, running ZoneAlarm

5. Simple file sharing is disabled? Yes

6. As a side note, double check your Share AND NTFS permissions. Done, sharing is ok.

7. An internal LMHOSTS and/or HOSTS file may help resolve internal names. Not sure what this is...

Tried doing a search but found it confusing, either that or I am searching for the wrong thing.

Cheers. smile