Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jspr

access ot files from Win to Linux

How can i get access to my movies and mp3:s from my Windows partition, with Linux (Fedora core 2). My windows harddrive is partitioned as NTFS. I have searched google with no good results... i would appreciate if i could get some help.

im still wery much a newbie with linux, so if there is a solution, it would be nice if you would write it step by step

// Jspr

My advice regarding NTFS support is to make a fat32 partition on the hard drive to store your NTFS files that need to be accessed. NTFS support is still new and I would trust fat32 for such storage first. This way the files are available to both windows and Fedora.

But, if you prefer, check out the following;

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html.

Make sure that you choose the correct driver for the kernel that you are using. Read the instructional link that is available on the left had margin for the install and setup of the driver.

When I was dual booting Mandrake 9 with XP, I regularly accessed the Windows files from XP, (NTFS) without problems. Don't try writing to NTFS from Linux though as that's still a buggy undertaking.

Do you know how to access your NTFS partition from Linux? I presume XP is on hda1? If I'm remembering correctly, (it's been a while since I've done this...)

First, you need to create a directory in which to mount your XP partition to, so first make that directory. The usual is to put it in /mnt. As root go:

mkdir /mnt/XP [enter]

You can name it anything you want. name it /mnt/windows if you prefer...

Then, still as root go:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/XP -t ntfs -r [enter]

Then you have to mount the XP directory. Go:

mount /mnt/XP [enter]

Then:

cd /mnt/XP [enter]

then:

ls [enter]

You should now see your Windows files in hda1. After doing the above steps you can also access them through Nautilus file browser. Here's a good page to look at about it in case I've missed something...

well there are many way that you can access files from windwos to linux and linux to windows. one way from windows is to use something called Ltools. when you are in windows you can access your files from linux ans so fourth. it hink the latest version of that is 6.9 which comes with both the command prompt version as well as a .net version which using franmework.net 1.1 its really great little tool.

in linux there are many ways that you can do it. most of the ways are the ways others have posted in here that will work well. i hope this will help you out

Mario

The Linux Guru

when i wrote: mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/XP -t ntfs -r [enter], it says "mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel" I ugraded the kernel but it didn't have any effect.

I also checked ti with "cat /proc/filesystems" and it didnt say anything about NTFS.

So, is there anyway that i can get my kernel to support NTFS?

Try as root in a console, the following;

modprobe ntfs

Does the command line come up blank with no errors?

If so, then try to mount the partition.

I got a part of it to work now smile

now i have access to all my documents etc.

Stupid me, i dont have my mp3:s on that partition :x but i will try to solve that by my self.

still one question... how can i look up what my harddrives partitones are named (for example: hda, hdc and so on)

Many thanks to you for all the help! laugh