Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
trebuchet03

Laptop Mods

Hey everyone, I am a big fan of DIY projects. I don’t like to just buy the product, I want to build it and make it better.

I've decided that I want to do two things:

1. Perform some Mods to My laptop case (for looks and to enhance cooling abilities for longevity).

2. Create a Cooling Pad to use when I am at my desk.

I tried to do some research on the web to see if anyone else has done any laptop mods to see how to go about it (to reduce errors). However, I was unable to find much info. Has anyone done any mods to their laptop / do you have any pictures or suggestions?

Also, I would like your opinions. Sucking or Blowing? Do you think it is better to suck air away from your hardware OR to Blow air across it.

Here is a picture of the laptop. Note: The digital Disk bay (above DVD) and the memory card bay (above PCMCIA) are empty in my model.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2004/ces/images/pavilion_zv5000_front.jpg

Some Ideas Up for case mods:

-Replace/change color of speaker grille and branding

-possibly change color of keys OR key labels

-new branding

-replace fan grilles with less restrictive ones

-internal battery heat sink if space available

-change rubber feet to increase airspace by a few mm

I appreciate your feedback

~Stupid [,Dumb and impossible] Ideas Create Man's Best Achievements~

Anonymous

Regards

There is limited information on this field of modding online. But so far, most of the laptop mods I have seen deal with the following:

- Painting Laptop

- Lapping CPU/ using Artic Silver compound

- Installing Ultra Bright LED's in case/keyboard/mouse

- Replacing Laptop fans with higher performance ones

- Adding plexiglas windows (small, but nice looking.

- Cutting designs out of the screen cover

- Cutting in back panel and reflector panel behind it (Dremels are our friends smile )

- Making external USB devices, into internal devices: IE. Wireless mouse, USB hubs, USB finger print reader, USB Laptop lock with with wireless "key", many many others

- Water Cooling - yes overkill on laptop, but I am going to try it on an old case first.(Project I am currently designing)

Modding Laptops is about as unlimited as modding desktops, the only difference is that you have limited space and power. So usually it takes more creativity than desktop modding.

Regarding the cooling question you asked, it is best to do both if possible. You want to supply the CPU with fresh cool air from the outside of your case and remove the hot air from the inside. But if you had to choose one, I would go for blowing air out of the laptop case. Since the space inside is limited, you want to keep evacuating the heated air out to keep the CPU temp down.

I have set up a site for laptop modding, check it out if you get a chance, lots of great ideas there, a few tutorials, and pictures!

http://www.laptopmods.com

or

http://www.laptopmods.net

Hope this helps a bit and good luck (I know you posted this a while ago, I just ran into this thread)

Regards,

IndigoZenith

Laptop Mod Junky

Intersting info indeed, I have an older P3 notebook and I want to see about possible mods on that before attempting anything on my P4 notebook wink

However, I can only see so much benefit unless you want to increase the case size and possibly not let it fit into the carrying case anymore without getting another one that is.