Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kirin

Win2000 Pop-Up Descriptions

Hi everyone!

I'm new 'round here, and chances are that my question will sound a bit simple to the long-time and experienced users, but I didn't find anything about this subject, not even on the MS site...

When I hover with the mouse pointer on a file in an Explorer window, Win2000 shows a pop-up with a brief description: File Type and approximate Size. Now, all this is fine and dandy, but I'd like to get the exact file size in bytes to show up in the pop-up. Is there any way to do so?

The point is that I work with the detailed list view, so I already get the approximate file size in the respective column, and it would be really useful to get the actual file size without checking every time the properties of each file...

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Great idea, I would like to know if this could be done myself... I don't know of a way, & I don't think it can be done, @least via tweaking settings for explorer.exe in the registry afaik!

(Would've heard about it by now I figure, as it would be a cool feature... I cannot STAND the 'abbreviated' kb readout myself either! I like EXACT measures, in ALL things, not approximations!)

smile

* I'd wager there is shell extensions though, that might do this... would not be ALL that hard to create, rightclick tools etc. that would popup a msgbox with the filesize etc. in bytes... but, that's not as "transparent" & easy as what you ask for, & I agree with totally!

APK

Well, it turns out that my digging skills were not as good as I thought and that on the MSDN site there's actually some info about this subject (and, yes, it has to do with shell extensions handlers):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defaul...s/shell_ext.asp

Now, I'm perfectly able to create and delete keys and/or modify entries in the registry, but the creation of shell handlers is still pretty far away from my skills... :x

Maybe it's not that hard, but I've never done such a thing.

To the best of my knowledge, the InfoTip handler can fetch info directly only from the following list:

[font:courier]

Property........Retrieved From

Author...........OLE document properties (PIDSI_AUTHOR)

Title............OLE document properties (PIDSI_TITLE)

Subject..........OLE document properties (PIDSI_SUBJECT)

Comment..........OLE document properties (PIDSI_COMMENT)

PageCount........OLE document properties (PIDSI_PAGECOUNT)

Name.............Standard folder view

OriginalLocation.Briefcase folder and Recycle Bin folder

DateDeleted......Recycle Bin folder

Type.............Standard folder details view

Size.............Standard folder details view

SyncCopyIn.......Same as OriginalLocation

Modified.........Standard folder details view

Created..........Standard folder details view

Accessed.........Standard folder details view

InFolder.........Document search results

Rank.............Document search results

FreeSpace........Disk drives

NumberOfVisits...Favorites folder

Attributes.......Standard folder details view

Company..........OLE document properties (PIDDSI_COMPANY)

Category.........OLE document properties (PIDDSI_CATEGORY)

Copyright........OLE document properties (PIDMSI_COPYRIGHT)

HTMLInfoTipFile..Desktop.ini file for folder[/font]

And since Size is retrieved from the Standard folder details view, looks like we're stuck with an approximate size...

But! After cheking out this page, I noticed the PIDDSI_BYTECOUNT property identifier, that returns the size in Bytes.

I believe there's hope to create a simple handler to fetch that info and add it to the InfoTip Handler and show it for every file. Problem is, all this is kinda out of my league.

Alec§taar, reading your other replies on the forum I believe that if you give just a glance at the pages I linked maybe you could come up with a working solution in no time at all... smile

What do you think? wink

[size:2]pesky multiple spaces formatting...[/color] :P

hey hey look what I found!

InfoTip Extension Version 2.0.4.106

http://www.na.rim.or.jp/~norio/index-e.shtml

This little baby works a treat. After I installed it, I simply right clicked a file, configured this app on its own "Info tip extension" tab and bob's your aunty all sorted.

Best bit is that it says stuff like "Size 4.30MB (4505865 bytes)"

I think you have to configure the customisations for every filetype. I guess thats even better!

----

Scin

Originally posted by ScinteX:

Quote:
hey hey look what I found!

Yo, ScinteX! Your find is exactly the kind of utility I was looking for!

Well, almost.

The basic idea is right, yet the implementation leaves me puzzled (for want of a better word...). I mean, it creates a tab in the display properties? Why?!? There's no logic in it! But the real problem is that there's no "generic setting" to tweak up a general InfoTip. This, as you pointed out, means I have to make up a new entry for each kind of file I may end up having (and even just the multimedia extensions are definitely TOO many). What's more, the new "entry" for an extension comes with a full set of "Wow! Everything's checked! Even if you need only two entries!". frown

Still, ScinteX, I really appreciate you sharing your find with us.

After all, I've already come up with a workaround to speed up the setting process. wink

Thank you.

Quote:
The tooltips you get? They're NOT std. rectangular yellowed ones... but BALLOON style (like the ones I put into my own applications)!

smile

You definitely like comics, don't you? wink

Quote:
Here is a download link to it:

<snip>

P.S.=> Kirin, looks like you 'lucked-out':

"2 FOR THE PRICE OF ONE" (& both free!)

Indeed. smile

Thank you all for the help!

Still, if anyone on the forums wants to try his hand at it and make up his own personal utility to customize the InfoTips, it'd be great if they'll share their work here!

Hey guys- no probs in me spending some time finding an almost-there-solution! LOL

The thread below is handy!! Me and Alec keep spamming it with our little progs every so often. I chucked this link in there, which may well be of help (if you can program C++ laugh )

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Shell Extensions (C++)

Post #146031 in this thread