Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jhipkiss

No sound on Mandrake 10

I had Mandrake 9.2 on my PC and the sound was fine, when I upgraded to Mandrake 10.0 I lost all sound and when I boot it complains that it can't find a sound card.

The sound is part of the motherboard which is a Soltec SL-85DRV5-C

When I logon I get this in a popup entitled "Informational - artsmessage":

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Any ideas? I'm fairly new to Linux so am unsure where to start first.

Thanks for any advice.

Jonathan

Two things:

1.) Do you have an onboard soundcard and a pci soundcard? If you have both sometimes there are irq conficts to deal with. If this is the case try to disable the onboard sound in your bios. Then run from the command line: alsaconf - and let it search for your sound card. Then afterwards try running any mixerprogram such as kmix to turn up the volume.

2.) Try running alsaconf even if you don't have a onboard soundcard and a pci soundcard. If it finds no legacy cards have it probe using all possible combinations of irq's - that is one of the options you will run into while running alsaconf. It will take some time but that usually detects anything unconventional.

3.) Google search for your soundcard to see if there is a linux driver available for it and follow its instructions for installation.

Good luck!

I apologize - I didn't read your post thoroughly enough the first time - I failed to notice you were using onboard sound. Sorry - try the second and third suggestions.

Good Luck!

- So Long and Thanks for all the Fish