Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zacros2020

Mystery System Tray Icon

Please help. I have a myster icon that keeps popping up in my system tray - a purple and red double helix (like the DNA structure). Everytime is comes on - it trys to start a program on my computer. I cannot seem to find where it is coming from. I have run VirusScan, HiJack This, Stinger, AdAware SE, and Spybot with no luck. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks./

Do you have the Google toolbar installed on your machine? Google has a background calculating program that runs whenever the machine is idle.

I typically use google for internet searches, but I have never installed their toolbar. This icon is a blue and red double helix that appears to flip back and forth. It keeps popping up a windows installer window and ask for a CD-ROM to continue installation. If I press cancel, it simply pops right back up with the Windows Installer.

If it is actually running in the background, Hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ESC will bring up the task manager to let you see what tasks are running. You can look through these to isolate those that you don't recognize.

It looks like the culprit was a program called tgshell.exe As soon as I closed this process, the icon disappeared and the computer quit trying to open the windows installer. I believe that I will follow all necessary instructions to completely remove this program from the computer. Anyone have any info about this program?

Thanks for all of your help.

I too have experienced this mystery dna looking icon and i found it to be part of the java console.

Whenever i started an application that used the java engine this twisted dna strand (that's the best way i can explain it) popped up in my taskbar for a few seconds while the java engine loaded up then it dissapeared.

Hope this helps.

subject: TGSHELL or tgshell.exe found by ZoneAlarm Pro and

researched in "FIND" (Win ME) files and folders reveals

BellSouth Software Protection ( my DSL provider is

Bellsouth). If anyone is interested. Drives me crazy.