Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

General Maitenance of a linux system?

In windows you gotta do your routine defrag, empty the cache, and clear out the old temp files.

What do you needa to for linux? I found a /Tmp folder and a /tmp folder in my user/home/ directory (I'm assuming tmp==temporary)

Need to empty those folder im assuming, anything else for general linux maintenance?

The only thing I use is logrotate that will compress or delete anything old in /var/log. If you have it installed the config file for it is in /etc/logrotate.conf on debian. I'll also run a cleanup of core files and the /tmp directories every now and then. Oh and of course apt-get update && apt-get upgrade if you are on debian.

I'm on a Mandrake system, kk then I can empty the /tmp folders (i have to log in X as root to empty this folder) , and there is a tmp folder in my user directory as well

Having files in /tmp won't hurt performance so unless you have space issues it's not necasary. You can delete the files in /tmp for root like so... if you are logged in as a regular user just open a terminal at the command prompt type su and you will be prompted for roots passwd just log in and type cd /tmp and then rm * to remove everything in /tmp