Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rwmj5

Windows xp password file access

I installed XP on a separate hard disk than my original Xp installation, and when I try to access my documents on the original hard disk, it says that access is denied. I had used the Do not allow others to see your files option for the previous installation, and I was wondering how I could now access that old my documents folder from my new install.

The folders were not encrypted, just set as "do not allow other users to view my files" under the user accounts setup. I cannot actually get to the security tab when i right click on properties. I can get to the sharing tab when i click on properties, but I cannot get the advanced security settings. I would literally have to switch my old hard drive from slave to master and boot that copy of windows and if it booted, id be able to get to access those files. I guess ill just try that, I just hate dealing with hard drives and IDE cables.

worked like a charm. I just booted up from the previous install, clicked properties, sharing, and unclicked do not allow other users to see this folder. (after dealing with the stupid jumpers/ide cables/power connectors)

Glad it worked for you, but you could always boot into safe mode to force XP to show the "Security" tab on the drive/folder/file properties.

Again, this seemed to be a file/folder ownership issue, and with restricted access based on your old user account SID.

Hi,

i know this is a little late, but there's an easier way to show the security tab. Open Windows Explorer, click on Tools, then on Folder Options. In the "View" tab, scroll all the way down, and uncheck "Use simple filesharing (recommended)". After that, the security tab is visible. However, it seems as if that option is unavailable on XP Home, I just thought I should dump this thought in here.

Greetz

alcaeus

hi

i just found this forum...,,, i have the same problem but i installed windows on another hard drive because my windows crashed and i wanted to keep my files.

is there another way, because i cant get into my folder as well, because of the same reason above.

I really need these files, any help appreciates

thx

Follow the steps per Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 810881

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

I was in the same situation where I reloaded WinXP on another Hard Drive. I setup my orginal hd as a slave drive but could not access my files. I searched and found the MS knowledge base article above and it works like a charm. Seeing how easy this was it kinda' makes me wonder about security...it's almost like there's no security! LoL If you can't get to the page I have cut and pasted here for you.

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder

Article ID : 810881

Last Review : March 15, 2004

Revision : 2.0

On this Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

MORE INFORMATION

SYMPTOMS

When you try to open a folder in Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you cannot open:

Folder is not accessible. Access is denied.

CAUSE

This issue may occur if the folder that you cannot open was created on an NTFS file system volume by using a previous installation of Windows, and then installing Windows XP. This issue may occur although you enter the correct user name and password. This issue occurs because the security ID for the user has changed. Although you use the same user name and password, your security ID no longer matches the security ID of the owner of the folder that you cannot open.

For example, although you use the same user name and password, you may no longer have permission to open the folder after you complete the following steps: 1. Before you install Windows XP Professional, you change the actual location, or target location, of the My Documents folder to another volume.

2. You format the primary partition.

3. You install Windows XP Professional.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder: 1. Turn off Simple File Sharing: a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.

4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

7. Click Yes.

8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

MORE INFORMATION

For additional information about file and folder permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

161275 Interaction of file and folder security on NTFS volumes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition