Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arias

XP Wireless Connection Issues

I am running a WIN2K Advanced Server hardwired to a D-Link DI-524 router. There are 8 PC's connected via D-Link DWL-G510 wireless cards. Each client is running WIN2K (SP4), except one which is running WINXP Pro (SP2).

Until yesterday, everything was working fine. We started experiencing random connectivity drops on all our wireless clients. I did the normal troubleshooting and found nothing to be wrong (hardware). After two hours of technical support "help" from D-Link, they determined that the router was defective, and should be returned for warranty replacement. I removed the router, and replaced it with an identical DI-524, fresh out of the box. I am still having random network drops. The wireless PCI cards are working properly.

After working on this for several hours, I found only one thing in common among these clients. The wireless connection is perfect, until the user opens Internet Explorer. As soon as the browser is opened, the wireless connection becomes unavailable. After the browser is closed, the connection restores and operates perfectly for intranet use as well as email. However, if you click an internal software link (i.e. Online Help in Adobe Acrobat to open a URL) I.E. works fine. I only lose connection when the I.E. icon is clicked and opened.

I have virus-scanned each client and found nothing. Can anyone tell me what is happening and why? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thank you...

Just for the sake of discussion, can you try everything with the XP SP2 client disconnected? You could just temporarily power it down.

SP2 changes lots of Wireless config options, so temporarily disconnecting it from your network would greatly narrow the scope of your troubleshooting.

Good luck smile

could ie be looking for a proxy?

in the ie lan settings tab

u could click the detect settings tab so it will resetup the connections.

I've tried just about everything mentioned, twice. It is still doing as described, losing connection (on each PC) as soon as the IE icon is clicked. Virus? If so, where?

Yeah..The service pack 2 bodged my network! I uninstalled it and the network connected and worked perfectly!

i have to post to this one because it's a relevent fyi.

many people have complained that the d-link dwl-510 rev b (atheros chip) randomly drops connection and only a reboot will reconnect.

ive eliminated the motorola wap because the win98 machine with the trendware card never ever drops. some linux users report the same problem.

I've got the D-Link 624+ and if I connect more than 3 PC's on wireless it starts giving me problems like that, first the link quality goes down so much till it drops the conection. If possible, try to shut all the PC's but 1 and then see if it still drops the connection when you open IE.

You can also try to connect one of the PC's to one of the LAN ports of the router (if it has one) and see if it also drops connection when you open IE.