Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike2

(0xc0000142) and Unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL error

When I start Cold Shadow, I get these two errors: Unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL. Error 2 is The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running on Windows XP.

I also tried compatitbilly mode, It still does not work! ;(

When I ran the game on the very old Windows 95 Machine, It worked fine. But I don't have the very old Windows 95 Machine anymore!

Is there any way to work this game? I have the kernel32.dll file on system32 directory of Windows XP. Why is it unable to link to it if the file is already on the system? Man, this is crazy!

Why did my problem did not get replied? I placed the errors messages, and the operating systems on the request. Do you need anymore details about it?

Sorry that your query wasn't answered but the error message is rather standard for any application which fails to initialize. It really isn't that you have a corrupt kernel32.dll. It is just saying that the memory address it was expecting to set up its array was not where it was supposed to be.

Anyway, what version of ActiveX are you running?

Have you tried to disable your virus or firewall protection before initializing the game?

What kind of video card are you using?

All of these things can interfere with a particular application failing to initialize.

Well just to let you know, The game i'm trying to work is Cold Shadow from Disney Interactive power play game dated 1996. The same thing happend with the other Power play games from Disney Interactive. The video card I have is Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics adapter.

The Video BIOS version is 2992.

The Display settings are 1024 by 728 True Color

(60 HZ).

I do not even know how to check the version of ActiveX.

I already disabled all of my firewall and my virus software and the problem presists.

The version of Windows the game worked is Windows 95. But if I try to play the Disney Interactive power play games above Windows 95, I get the Unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL error and then I get the The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application error. I think it has something to do with the operating systems. I do have the floppy disks to install Windows 95, but I think it is not safe to do that to my new computer. Why I think it is not safe is because my Windows XP data might get erased after I install Windows 95. Just a reminder, I also tried compatitbilly mode, and the game still does not work. Is there an emulator that will emulate Windows 95 or some other solution that should work?

I am sorry for not getting back sooner. Also sorry about the Active X component. What I should have typed was Direct X. Click on Start>Run and type dxdiag to see if there isn't a problem. You normally get this kind of error when DirectX has gotten corrupted. You can go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;displaylang=en to get the latest DirectX runtime installer for 9.0c. No guarantees that it will fix it, but it will update DirectX which the game depends upon.

;( ;( ;( ;( ;( UGH... It looks like that Disney Interactive's customer support is useless... I emailed them saying that I can't get the game to work.

And all they said is that the game is not compatible with Windows XP and there not making plans to make it compatible with Windows XP. Is there an emulator that emulates Windows 95 and it is for Windows XP? If not is there any other solution to this constant problem?

I waited waited, waited............................

still no reply. Is there ANY emulator that can emulate Windows 95 and it is for XP or some other solution??????????????

I would like to know if there is any solution to this problem.

Unfortunately, VMware requires me to register in order to download. And I do not want to give out my info. Is there any other emulator or a different way to do this?

this usually works for me:

locate the exe of the game. Right Click and choose properties

go to the tab labeled "Compatibility" and tick the checkbox that says "Run in compatibility mode for" and make sure Windows 95 is selected. If that doesn't work try choosing other options from the dropdown menu, such as Windows 98/ME.