Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
belveder

Question about mixing memory brands

I have a stick of memory and have been given another, I was wondering if it is safe to use the two together as they are different.

On the sticker mine says

RAmos

512mb DDR 333MHZ CL2.5

the one I was given says

Infineon (HP on the other side)

64M x 64 SDRam

512 MB, DDR, 133MHZ CL2

None of this means much to me other than they both are 512 mb DDR ram lol

If anyone can give some advice it would be muchly appreciated

Thanks in advance:)

You don't want to mix DDR ram and SDRAM. some older motherboards support the two but not sure if you could mix them like that.

so unless you have another computer that could use the SDRAM don't try to put that other stick in as most likely it won't fit in your DDR motherboard.

S

thatsteveguy is right. The second piece of RAM that you describe is SDR, not DDR.

Apart from the working incompatibility of the two pieces of memory you have, i believe there is hardly a MB in the market that has slots to put them in at the same time. They may look the same physically, but they are not - take a close look at where the middle notch is situated.....

I thought they were both DDR because they both say DDR, don't quite understand the HP one that says it is both

Originally posted by belveder:

Quote:
I thought they were both DDR because they both say DDR, don't quite understand the HP one that says it is both

Yea!!! it's like 800MHz RAMBUS memory on a PIII!!! My firend has a system like that!!! I can't imagine what the h!@#!@# the system designer was thinking when he put this thing together!!!

laugh

it's because there is such a thing as sdramm ddr but it is still different then DDR. it kinda came between sdramm and ddr but then ddr more or less became the standard. sdramm ddr is just really sdram that can move the info both ways just like ddr.

S