Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alias99

XP Pro Crashing

Just purchased a new computer Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4, 512mg ram, integrated sis 661Fx Video Card. This thing constantly crashes when I do any kind of Video Editing or attempt to play any games.

I purchased a new Radeon 128mg video card because I just thought my 32mg card wasn't doing the trick. Same crash problem. I reformated, installed all the updates. Still crashes.

Everyone has said my motherboard is probably faulty. Is anyone else having this problem???

Thanks

What kind of crashes are you experiencing?

Hangs? Windows rebooting? BSODs?

"Windows crashes" is not much help - it does that all the time :P

If Windows is rebooting, you need to turn automatic reboot off (Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Settings, take off Automatically restart

There are many things that may be causing the crashes, doesn't necessarily have to be the motherboard - but at least you've ruled out the graphics card for the time being (you are using the latest Catalyst drivers, aren't you?)

Give us information and we can help 8)

Rgds

Flibble

Yes, sorry it is rebooting. As the computer is new (not alot of stuff to lose) I have used the recovery cd and reformated the hard drive then Updated all of the drivers. Got all the Xp updates. Did NOT install the new Radeon Card just updated the driver for existing SIS 661fx integrated card.

I tested it with a game: It rebooted while I tried to play and then I always get the same error "Your computer has recovered from a serious error" When I send the report it says that a "Device Driver" is to blame but it is not specific.

I did the same thing again this time trying the Radeon Card and yes I got the new ATI Catalyst. Same reboot problem but even worse (reboots alot quicker and more often during any kind of Media or Gameplay).

One curious thing I discovered was that the Radeon Catalyst comes with a PC analysis feature and everytime I run the tests it says Directx is not installed properly. I updated it to DirectX 9c, no good. I used a DirectX removal tool and managed to get it back to 8.1, no good. It also says my clock stability is borderline.

Now I am Video Editor not a computer tech so I have no idea what to try next.

Thank You

Turn off automatic reboot, to show the BSOD so we can see what error is causing the reboot.

It may be a flaky PSU, but it's also strange that ATI is saying that DirectX isn't working properly. Have you tried running [font:courier]dxdiag[/font]?

Rgds

AndyF

I ran dxdiag and that is saying everything is fine. I turned off the automatic reboot like you suggested then I get that blue warning screen that the game has to shut down and of course it does.

Someone suggested that I use I use the Omega drivers for my Radeon which I did and it made no difference. I have removed the Radeon completely now because it faulters twice as much as the factory card.

Just looking at my paper work it says the power supply is 300w

And this makes me feel stupid but I don't know what BSOD means

I am pretty much convinced that I have purchased a $2000 paper weight smile

P.S. Thanks for all the suggestions this is the only board I have been able to find any kind of help.

Sorry, BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

It's the blue screen that appears when you take off automatic reboot - the text one that's covered in indecipherable numbers and letters.

The important part of this screen that we need are the STOP code (0x followed by 8 hexadecimal digits) and the driver that caused the error (e.g. atidrv.sys)

Don't feel sorry or stupid, we're here to help in any way we can smile

That 300W PSU may be a little small - it depends on what other hardware you have installed (hard drives, CD/DVD drives, other PCI cards, etc.)

Can you get access to another PSU from somewhere just to test whether that's the problem...

Rgds

AndyF

also are you disabling the onboard video in the bios after you put the ati card in? and changing the video boot prefrence to AGP/PCI?

and make sure no drivers for the internal vid card are left in the system after changing to the ATI card. could be a confict between the two.

S

Yes I still have my old computer which never had any problems of this nature so maybe I can pull that psu.

Well I had this problem even before I bought the new card. However I wasn't exactly sure how to install the new card with this type of integrated chip set. I followed the (very vague) instructions: It just said to install the latest drivers for the old card and then uninstall them. I did this then put the new card in and got the latest catylyst drivers. As for this part

"also are you disabling the onboard video in the bios after you put the ati card in? and changing the video boot prefrence to AGP/PCI?"

I am not sure I know how to do that.

Like I said before I am lucky in the fact that I can do a complete restore because there is nothing really to lose yet. So if maybe someone could tell me exactly how I should "correctly" install this "Radeon 9600Pro Card" and uninstall the "SIS integrated 661 Fx" can it even be done properly with this type of Chip set? Radeon does speak of compatability issues.

I really appreciate all this help you guys are providing.

Another thing that may/may not be worth the time/effort would be to try a different video card; since it seems that you are most likely within your exchange period from the retailer where you purchased the video card.

That is assuming the ATI/SIS video card conflict is accurate. It may very well be, too.

If you do choose to do this, just for the sake of comparision, I would try a card from Nvidia, not saying one's better than the other at this point at all, just trying to narrow the problem.

Also, if you do swap the PSU from your older PC, make sure it's rated at least as high (300W) as your current PSU, and that all the connections (including the color of the wire insulation on the large 20-pin connecter) are the same to minimize the risk of damage.

Good luck, and post your results smile

I wanted to try this because I didn't do it when I installed the card. I figured out how to get in the bios but I don't know what to do from there. Could someone please advise...

Quote:
also are you disabling the onboard video in the bios after you put the ati card in? and changing the video boot prefrence to AGP/PCI?

and make sure no drivers for the internal vid card are left in the system after changing to the ATI card. could be a confict between the two.

Thanks

*most* of the time, the on-board graphics are automagically disabled when a PCI/AGP add-in card is installed.

Best to verify in the BIOS though, usually under a heading called Intergrated Periphials.

Good luck smile

Well guys I am at a loss now. I reformated (yet again) this time installing a new 400 watt PSU. I put in the Radeon. Still having problem during game play. It got me to thinking though that I only have 1 game Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I have yet to make it restart with my work. Possibly my system just does not like this game. I think I will go buy a different game and see what happens.

P.S. I still don't really understand what to do in BIOS because when I get there I don't have many choices. So I hit f8 on start up until I go into the BIOS if this is correct please tell me what I do next. I don't see anything like "Integrated Periphials" how do I access that part?

Thanks Again.

Well, it seems to me that the processor is overheating, or maybe the cooling fan is not working properly or at all, keep an eye on those, try changing the memory to a different bank as well, and by the way, depending on what brand is your computer, in order to access bios you need to press or del, or f2 (hp), or f10 or f12, don't remember quiet well which of the last ones applies to compaq, but the most common key is del....f8 is to access safe mode...and press the key several times as soon as you turn on the machine...let us know

Ok I accessed the BIOS using the delete key. Under Intergrated Periphials I dont see an option to disable the onboard video. The only thing close is:

on-chip primary PCI - IDE: ENABLED

on-chip secondary PCI - IDE: ENABLED

Is this what you are talking about?

Also I checked the PC HEALTH section and it says my fans are working. The PC temperature was 40 and my PSU temperature was 32. My new PSU says it's good to 40. Not sure about the PC.3

Nope, that's your IDE controllers, that's the interface for your hard disk(s) and CD/DVD drive(s).

Chances are it's automatically disabled when a PCI/AGP add-in card is present.

Windows XP crashing is nothing new. Even with the XP SP2 installed, with all new certified drivers and other updates, XP still crashes. When exiting some programs, the program closes slowly. Programs will hang up, cannot be exited without shutting the computer down by hand.

A few computer companies such as Gateway, Dell and many others, tell me the problem is within the Windows XP files from Microsoft. The when Microsoft is contacted, they place the blame on the the computers companies! frown

The problem goes back to the Microsoft Net FrameWork 1.1! After that program is installed the problems ar to many to explain.

Now they want to put out Microsoft Longhorn! The problems will be in the new version of Windows also.

On a clean install with nothing else other than Windows XP Sp2 installed. Shutting down the computer would not shut down properly.

Originally posted by GlacierClipper:

Quote:
Windows XP crashing is nothing new. Even with the XP SP2 installed, with all new certified drivers and other updates, XP still crashes. When exiting some programs, the program closes slowly. Programs will hang up, cannot be exited without shutting the computer down by hand.

Sounds like faulty hardware to me.

Quote:
A few computer companies such as Gateway, Dell and many others, tell me the problem is within the Windows XP files from Microsoft. The when Microsoft is contacted, they place the blame on the the computers companies! frown

Ah yes, the typical "pass-the-buck" of call center technicians. They can't be bothered to actually think outside of their script to try and troubleshoot the real problem.

Quote:
The problem goes back to the Microsoft Net FrameWork 1.1! After that program is installed the problems ar to many to explain.

Do you explicitly need the .NET Framework installed? Or perhaps you're just installing it because it's offered on windowsupdate.microsoft.com ?

Quote:
Now they want to put out Microsoft Longhorn! The problems will be in the new version of Windows also.

Ok... Perhaps you have some inside information on Longhorn that you care to share? If you have identified the problems already, then by all means forward your bug reports to Microsoft!

But now if you're basing your opinion on the PDC build (which is/was only available to attendees of the PDC show and MSDN members) then there's also a good chance that the issue(s) that you have experienced have since been solved in a later build.

You do understand the term beta software, correct?

Quote:
On a clean install with nothing else other than Windows XP Sp2 installed. Shutting down the computer would not shut down properly.

Again, sounds like a hardware/BIOS config problem, probably your power management is bugged up somewhere.

I just get tired of people placing blame for PC frustrations incorrectly.

Ok here is EXACTLY whats going on now... I purchased a new game: Call of Duty (this has to be the most amazing game I have ever seen in my life. Absolutely unreal graphics and gameplay... anyway where was I?)I was wondering about the overheating possibility so I used a desk fan and cliped it to my PC. I opened the door and let er rip. I checked in the BIOS and managed to get the core temperature down to 26 and the PSU down to 30. Should be fine.

I began playing the game and it went along for exactly 22 minutes without a problem. It then froze the screen. I could still see everything ok but I just froze. After a minute or so I got an error message that said my 3d graphics accelerator was no longer responding would I like to send this error message to ATI which I did. I then went into my settings and backed off the 3d acceleration a few notches.

I began playing again and after 13 minutes it just went to a blue screen (with no writing on it) After that it went back to my desktop but I had no desktop picture anymore the backgroud was just a very light blue color and all my icons were very fuzzy. I restarted and it went back to normal.

I was thinking about my BIOS configuration again but couldn't figure out the onboard video thingy again.

So here you go guys this is exactly what I am looking at in BIOS "onboard peripherals":

IDE1 Conductor Cable [AUTO]

IDE2 Conductor Cable [AUTO]

On-Chip Primary PCI IDE [ENABLED]

On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE [ENABLED]

AC97 Audio [ENABLED]

USB Controller [ENABLED]

USB Legacy Support [ENABLED]

Onboard LAN Device [ENABLED]

Onboard Serial Port1 [3f8/IRQ4] *enabled

Onboard Serial Port2 [2f8/IRQ3] *enabled

Onboard Parallel Port [378/IrQ7] *enabled

Parallel Port Mode [ECP]

ECP Mode Use DMA [3]

Game Port Address [201]

Midi Port Address [DISALED]

xMidi Port IRQ 10 *this is in faded out blue writing.

Now for those of you that made it this far without falling asleep smile Does everything here appear correct?

Thanks

Everything there looks good. You tried a new 400W power supply, right? No change?

Also, can you try something like looping the benchmark of 3Dmark '03?

Had the same problem a while ago and it was sorted by entering the BIOS, change the Ram voltage to 2.7 volt, and change the latency settings from auto to 3-4-4-8. It worked for me, at worst it just wont boot, try it.

Yes actually I kept the 400 watt PSU and it is still in there.

I will try anything at this point but I don't see how to change either one of these settings in my BIOS what headings will they be under?

Quote:
Had the same problem a while ago and it was sorted by entering the BIOS, change the Ram voltage to 2.7 volt, and change the latency settings from auto to 3-4-4-8. It worked for me, at worst it just wont boot, try it.

And sorry but this one I have no idea what that even means:

Quote:
Also, can you try something like looping the benchmark of 3Dmark '03?

I used to have the same problem in win Xp Crashing. It happened twice to me where I drove me crazy and found out it was the processor was stuffed with dust that caused the problem. I found out by removing each and every part and trying a different one (e.g. hard drive, sound card, video card, ram card, cd-rom drive) and more. I went crazy until I saw the pile of dust in the processor and as soon as I cleaned it up, it was up and running.

The second time it was when I bought a new motherboard. I did all the same crazy stuff up there, and it turned out to be the motherboard was faulty. I found out when I bought a new motherboard and used the same processor.

m0rcey

Ok guys I think the problem is solved now. I had to do a few things that I didn't really want to do but I quite honestly don't notice any difference in my performance.

What I did:

fastwrites-off, AGP from 8x to 4x and VPU recovery-off

I also installed the Omega drivers. I kept the 400 watt power supply and also turned my clocking down a touch.

Thanks for everyones help. I hope all of this will help someone in the future because I have been fooling with this for 2 weeks now.

Thanks Again.