Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wyer

Help With American McGee's Alice

I just got american mcgee's alice and when i play i can't see my life bar or what weapon i have. i don't know if it's the game or not i use a geforce 450 with 320MB SDRAM 30GB hardrive pentium 3 If anyone has had this problem and know a way to help

plz do

I have almost the same problem. I borrowed Alice from a friend and didn't bother to check if it supported XP. I, too, cannot see my life bar. However, I can see what "Current Toy" (weapon) I am using . . . only because it is in the middle of the screen hiding behind the blue meter for "Strength of Will," which should be located on the right side of the screen. I believe my red meter for "Level of Sanity," or health, that is supposed to be located on the left with my weapon, is beneath both of these. -All three are directly in the middle of the screen right behind Alice.- Also, this entire display shrinks down blocking the center of the subtitles as well when they appear, but at that point, I can see Alice. I suppose this is an XP compatible issue, but is there anything I can do to correct this?

-jozaftig

I recently decided to play this on my Windows XP Professional SP1 system, and it worked just fine. I have a Nvidia Geforce4 ti4400 with the latest (at the time...) drivers.

If objects that should appear are off the screen, check your resolution, refresh rates, etc., as with some monitors, the screen geomotrey can be greatly altered with different modes.

I have had alice for a long time and it works fine on my PC w/ XP. I have P4 1.8 512mb ram ati9700pro. You can probably find the game for dirt cheap, and i think it is a good game. It reminds me of a console game w/ better graphics which i think the PC needs more of.

Alice runs fine on my P4 2.4/9800 PRO/1GB RAM and XP SP2. You shouldn't really have a problem at all, its based off of the Quake 3 engine and is a OpenGL engine game.

Update your drivers, check your refresh rates, check screen sizes, try running with VSYNC ON (old game might need to be slowed down), I can't remember about a patch but look for one, check to see if its runnings in Win9x mode, you could also try running it in Windows 2000 mode. The game's readme says the game will run under Windows 2000 so there should be no problem there. Try up[censored] chipset drivers, sound drivers, update DirectX, etc.

Good luck.

I'm having the same problem using WinXP. The blue meter and the weapon in use view are both directly in the center of the screen right in front of Alice. It's really large so it makes it hard to play the game. Does anyone know specifics on how to fix this?

Using WinXP/Athlon 2000+ and didn't have any problems running Alice. It worked when I had a GeForce 3 and SP! and worked even better when I updated to SP2 and an FX5700. The only catch was that I had to make sure and turn on VSYNC "all the time"! The screen would flicker and things would be drawn incorrectly if I didn't!

What videocard are you using? Make sure you have the latest drivers.

It's a great game so don't miss out on the genius of American McGee. I'm still waiting to see his version of "Oz".

i have just recently found my copy of american mcgee's alice and i am having the same problem with the bars but mine flicker in and out and really aren't visible at all. i have a Radeon All In Wonder 7200 AGP 32MB and was wondering if there was anything that might be different. I am running XP Pro no SP's

I ran it on XP Prof as well, using a SiS 740 (:x). Worked perfectly for me. I didn't try it yet on my new configuration (with a FX5700LE).

I recieved this game about two years ago for X-Mas and I tried running it on my home computer with Windows XP. It didn't work, and I'm not sure why. I've tried looking for a patch, and I can't find one. Is it because my computer came pre-loaded with XP, and it wasn't upgraded from a non-NT OS? If anyone can help, that would be great. smile

No that isn't the problem, the game should just work fine, OpenGL Quake 3 engine. I honestly don't know why it won't work for some people, but force VSYNC ON, old games need VSYNC because today's processors accelerate them too fast.

i have had windows XP SP2 loaded already, i don't know what vsync is or how to get to it or anything! i need help so i can get that blue bar to go away, please help!

I used to be able to play Alice with XP until this month.

I think the last Window update changed something and now I cannot get control of Alice at all, the mouse and the keyboard don't do anything.

I wrote to EA and thye have no idea.

I have the same problem! I had window ME and it worked. Then, I installed windows XP and the problem was that the life bar is right behind her so all I can see is the damn bar and her arms and legs! It's really annoying. When I switch back to ME, it works again. But I prefer XP for most of the stuff I do. Can someone help me. Also, I don't know much about computers so I need someone to explain to me how I can get this to work without confusing me too much. I would really appreciate it. smile

Hay All you A M Alice Fans!!!

Ive worked out how to get Alice to run under win XP (cant help with health bar issue sorry:(

Heres what to do, quite simple really, Crack it :P

The game seems to fail to check the disk properly under windows XP and crashes, so the no CD crack for alice, (I shall not tell you where to get it as its technically illegal although if you own an original copy there is no real problem (Clue) look on google ;)) is the way to solve this. Once you write the cracked EXE over the original in the alice folder the game should run fine, plus you have the added advantage of not needing to put your alice CD in and risk scratching it smile

Hope that helps smile